Arrggg...new satellite fixture is LOUD.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my current-usa satellite fixture. (2x65W CF) The fan is so loud. It is significantly louder than a computer fan. I can actually hear it upstairs as I am typing this. I'm letting the fan run for a while to see if it "breaks in" and quiets down. If it doesn't, I am going to have to send this back. (actually my central heat just turned on and it is about as loud as that!)

So, if anyone else has this fixture, and it is quiet please let me know as mine might be defective. Otherwise...who has a nice quet 2x65W CF fixture they can recommend?

Has anyone tried this fixture?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12109&N=2004+113345

Thanks

I have a very similar one to that and its loud too..... but only one fan is loud. I went to radio shack and got a replacement fan for a few bucks...much better now. But if you cant do that call them up,and tell them your problem. I dealt with them before and they a good by me... Rob

One of mine is nice and quiet. The other one is pretty loud. I am thinking of disconnecting it. Since I have the fixture up on legs I dont think it will get too hot. If it does I will hook the fan back up.

I've got the CurrentUSA Orbit fixtures and their fans are quiet. I'm guessing that the Satellites use the same fans so you may want to check with the supplier to see about a replacement.

Replacement

Any word on a replacement? I like the fixture, but the darn thing is as loud as a jet engine - it's unusable in the living area of a house.

Does anyone have the Radio Shack part number for a replacement fan??

Re: Replacement

bcarney said:
Any word on a replacement? I like the fixture, but the darn thing is as loud as a jet engine - it's unusable in the living area of a house.

Does anyone have the Radio Shack part number for a replacement fan??

I e-mailed them and they said it can't be normal, but we use similar "muffin" fans at work. The fan itself didn't sound disfunctional, it is just a small high CFM fan which means loud. You trade silence for more CFM (Cubic feet per minute)

I am returning it and replacing it with a coralife fixture which I listened to at the LFS. I get it tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it sounds.

One thing you can do is to undervolt the fan. I don't know how similar to computer fans it is, but if you can rig up the 4pin power connectors that computers use to power fans/drives/cards/etc. you can make the fan run on either 5 or 7 volts instead of the 12volts it normally runs on. I did this to several of my computer case fans (I am NOT good with electrical work) and the difference is VERY noticeable. Yes it will not flow as much air, but it might be worth it if your ears can't take it.

7Enigma said:
One thing you can do is to undervolt the fan. I don't know how similar to computer fans it is, but if you can rig up the 4pin power connectors that computers use to power fans/drives/cards/etc. you can make the fan run on either 5 or 7 volts instead of the 12volts it normally runs on. I did this to several of my computer case fans (I am NOT good with electrical work) and the difference is VERY noticeable. Yes it will not flow as much air, but it might be worth it if your ears can't take it.

Just a note, doing this on most items will void their factory warentee and ruin the option to return them... that is if you tell them you did this.

I think replacing a high CFM fan with a low CFM fan is a bad idea. The ficture was "hopefully" engineered well, and that size fan was chosen for a reason. Modifying it would most likely not provide enough cooling.

Back
Top Bottom