Bamboo in tropical tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently went to the lfs and saw they were selling 4" bamboo for fish tanks. They also put larger potted peices in many of their tanks. I thought bamboo was not aquatic:confused: Would putting bamboo in a tank have negative affects?

it may develop mold ive kkept bamboo in pure water before and it devoloped mold in stagnant water also some i thik leaves need to be above water also its worth a shot if you get it cheap

bamboo isnt meant to be submerged, it will grow for a bit but soon it will rot.

I have had it growing in our 20 long for a little over 3 years now. As rookie said, keep the leaves out of the water. I bought stalks that were longer than the tank is tall so there was no problem with the leaves sticking out. I have no problems with mold growing, of course, the tank also has 4 filters running.

In the glass planters, since there is no circulation of water, they will get moldy.

A lot of times the bamboo they sell isn't really bamboo, (it's called lucky bamboo but it's real name is: Dracaena sanderiana) but it's still not supposed to be completely submerged. It will eventually rot. Either way, it doesn't belong in an aquarium. It would work well in a separate sump used as a plant filter though.

A lot of times the bamboo they sell isn't really bamboo, (it's called lucky bamboo but it's real name is: Dracaena sanderiana) but it's still not supposed to be completely submerged. It will eventually rot. Either way, it doesn't belong in an aquarium. It would work well in a separate sump used as a plant filter though.

It really does work fine in an aquarium if the leaves are out of the water. I've had mine growing for over 3 years. It will not rot if done correctly. I wouldn't advised someone on it if I wasn't speaking from experience.

Back
Top Bottom