banana plants-making more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spellweaver9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a banana plant how do i make more- do i separate the banana's ?this might sound really dumb--but mine :D is really large and would like more-well if anyone know's just let me know--thanks

Actually...the way I've heard it....to reproduce the Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica) you simply wait until it produces its typical floating leaf and then cut that leaf off leaving about 4 inches of stem hanging beneath it. After a couple of weeks I've been told that new roots will form at the cut end of the stem. This can then be planted in the substrate and....voila!!....a new Banana Plant.

fruitbat, i notice that you have a low light 26 gal.. i want to turn my 30gal into a live planted tank! what kind of lighting do you have and where did you buy it and how much $$ was it, if you do'nt mind me asking!
ps, do you LOVE your hillstream loach? because i love mine =]

Fruitbat -
do you just let the leaf float in the water,then, until it starts to make roots? My banana must be just right for my water type because it is growing like crazy. We would love to have more of them!

mgkaelen...

I'm almost embarassed to admit that the only light I've got on my 26 gallon bow-front is the 15 watt fluorescent that came with it. This puts me under 1 watt per gallon...DEFINITELY in the low-light category.

Nevertheless, my Cryptocoryne species (wendtii, cordata, crispatulavar. balansae, and one other that I've yet to identify) are growing well and forming new plants on runners. I've also got a single Anubias barteri var. nana, Java Fern (Microsorium), Java Moss, and a massive Aponogeton ulvaceus (which I'll have to get rid of because it is taking over the aquarium) growing very nicely.

As long as I stick with plants that will tolerate my low-light conditions I seem to be OK. I use Flourish Tabs in the substrate near the Aponogeton and the Cryptocoryne and dose occasionally with Flourish and Flourish Excel. The only problem I've encountered is with Brown Algae (diatoms) that also thrive under low-light conditions. I've noticed that the Brown Algae starts to get out of hand when I use the liquid fertilizers according to their recommended dosages so I've modified my regimen over the last few months to fit my tank conditions.

I do want to bring my light level up a bit but am having difficulty finding a light strip that will meet my needs. Unfortunately, the way the top on the bow-front aquarium is configured I can't simply drop a light strip where the original is. I suppose I could custom build a new enclosure for the top of my tank but I don't have the time at the moment. I've been looking for something that would just replace my 18" fixture but can't find anything that is the same length and width (22 3/4" long by 4 1/2" wide). I do NOT want to go the high-light route where I have to wear sunglasses to look at my aquarium nor do I want to deal with CO2 injection. I like my plants but my aquarium is for my FISH! Still...it would be nice to be at the 2 to 2.5 watts per gallon level.

And yes...I do really like my Hillstream Loach (Pseudogastromyzon cheni)! He's a cute little bugger, gets along with my other loaches and I've even seen him munching on algae every so often.

Linsay....

Based on my best understanding, you simply cut the floating leaf (leaving about 4 inches of stem attached) and let it float until roots begin to develop on the stem.

To propagate press adventious plants or fully formed leaves into damp ground, according to my plant book. I have not tried this so I don't know how it works.

Fruitbat. If your strip light is 24" long then head over to www.ahsupply.com and get a 55 watt upgrade kit. You can put it right into your current strip, mounting the ballast on the back and come up to just a hair over 2 wpg.

Rex.....thanks for the information. Unfortunately my light fixture isn't quite 24" long...it is 22 3/4" (holding an 18" fluorescent). I haven't been able to find much of anything that will fit in that space. I'd love to hear any other recommendations you might have!! I was looking at the CoralLife stuff as well but the only 18" unit I saw was a 50/50 Actinic/10,000K and I don't want nor need all that blue!!!

Hmmmm....looking more closely at the AH Supply 55w upgrade I see that the reflector is 22" long X 4" wide and that the bulb itself is 21.1". Sounds like it would be an awfully tight fit into a 22 3/4" long X 4 1/2" wide strip. What do you think Rex?? Would it work??

my banana plant just shot up a stem that goes from the bottom of the tank to the water surface!!! it is HUGE. (just thought I'd share LOL)

It should fit. The reflector is narrower at the top and only 4" wide at the bottom. They are actually designed to fit into a standard strip light. You could call AH Supply and talk to them but I have seen several kits put into strip lights.

is the plant buried? i heard they only shoot stems to the surface if the "bananas" are buried in the substrate. i've buried mine. i hope it starts to head for the surface.

it is partially buried -about half way up the bannana part - it looks so funny with one lonely leaf reaching for the surface - I will try to take a picture later.

The roots of the banana plant, Nymphoides aquatica, do not have to be buried in order for it to send up surface leaves. Those roots are simply storage structures for saving up extra sugars (in the form of starch) that are produced by photosynthesis in the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom