Barr's GH booster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
So.. I've been mixing this with some other stuff for awhile, and I've thought I've been mixing it wrong, and its been precipitating, but I just tried mixing it with distilled water, and it still fell out, so am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to settle out?

hmm, if it is precipitating then it is not raising your GH... what is your GH and what is your goal?

Well, I have a water softener, so that means that I shouldn't have any of the hard water. The the gh booster is either precipitating or just clumping up when I mix with distilled water, so it seems like it's not doing much. I'm just trying to replace the stuff the softener takes out.

The stuff that is not dissolving in Barr's GH booster is Ca SO4 <The other stuff is Mg SO4 & K2 SO4, both soluble.>

I have not use Barr's booster, so can't speak of it first hand, but I would expect it to behave like Ca CO3. It takes a while for that to dissolve ... and there is an upper limit to how much can dissolve in.

I would try letting it sit for 48 hrs & test your GH to see if anything changes. The amount that can dissolve in is pH dependent, but if you use distill water, you should see a GH increase.

BTW, instead of adding stuff to your softened water, why not just mix in some water before the softener?

Sadly.. it would be due to laziness/room. To by pass the softener I'd need to use the hose, and the water gets pretty cold, meaning I'd need a container to hold/heat the water.

Back
Top Bottom