BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I completely removed the gold creeping jenny as it completely disintegrated. The mermaid weed doesnt look great either and I am starting to question the BML strength... The only other thing i changed was metricide in place of excel. I will check the water parameters later

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plants can/melt a bit when replanted.. I've had a few go south only to come back strong..Than again I've had a few go to the trash too.. you can pick the strongest looking stem/bud and get that into the best light and junk the rest???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That happens sometimes huh? I've had quite a few plants melt and just never come back (hygrophila sp. bold, hygrophila corymbosa, to name a few).

By the way has anyone else thought that this was "BCarls 26 Gallon Boyfriend Build"?! :lol:

Yup, mainly hygro in my trash too.. i guess it's the fair leaves?? I had a Ludwiga repens bunch go black with nasty algae, i snipped off one 2" section and replanted and now it's going crazy.. and yes every time I see your thread I remind myself it's actually bow front ;)

If it was a boyfriend build it would need to be in a different forum! ?

I ended up trashing them i tried to let it play out as long as possible but they turned to mush.

I ended up trashing them i tried to let it play out as long as possible but they turned to mush.

You need some red in that tank. I'll be able to ship something out to you by Monday. Was on vacation but someone named Arthur had other plans.
Oh, bf stands for bow front.

Week 1 update: i decided to exchange the 18" BML for the 24". The plants are starting to grow but the red myro was already losing some reds. The downoi and star repens began a slow recovery. I saw a good bit of dust algae and green spot algae. I was out of town a few days so that didnt help. Heres my water pH:6.8 gh: 9 kh: 12 phos: 2ppm nitrate: 10ppm. I will probably add some acid buffer tomorrow to bring down the kH and a little equilibrium since i believe the seiryu stones is causing an inflated gH reading. Lastly i plan on getting some ar mini and a new stem plant to replace the gold jenny that melted soon!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404785352.378232.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404785352.378232.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 120
Ignore my PM, I see you went big time with the BML. This is going to be a nice setup once the new light is in place. Will be following this. Hopefully the AR mini will take off and you can "share the joy".

When I initially went with the BML the point was to never have to buy a new light again so i figured in the long run if it wasnt right I'd be disappointed. And im a huge proponent of pay it forward! As long as it grows that is...

Soo the last neon I had died and i am fed up with keeping them since they never seem to stay alive. All other fish are doing fine. Can anyone suggest a schooling fish to go along with the rams and rummy nose tetras?

Yah neons are tough, I've been through neons, cardinals, and green neons, now out if about 15 fish I have a school of 3 green, 2 neons and one cardinal haha, whatever works right?? If your rams and rn's are happy try the Cardinals. . They like the same parameters.. you could also try some harlequin rasboras??

I don't think it is really about params as much as inbreeding or stable params. Try glowlight tetras they are great for me so far.

Ive had no problems with neons here in the UK. Maybe the stock we get is stronger than in the US?

I really think its more of the fish then my water since all other fish are good. Ive had rasboras and glow fish before but hoping to have something with a little more color.

Try some ember tetras. I find them to be pretty hardy as I haven't yet lost one to an unexplainable death.

Back in 2007 saw some golden tetras at PetSmart and picked up 6. Did not know anything about them and had not seen them there before. Fast forward 7 years later and I still have 4 of them. They've weathered ich and fungal out breaks, living with a goldfish, living outside for one summer and even bred once. They are not the most colorful species but they are hardy.

Yeah I've heard that neons are sensitive do to inbreeding so its probably the fish that are the problem.

I would guess that the stock is better in the UK because lots of fish are grown in the southern US and the weak neons can't survive the shipment over I guess so the stores only get the ones strong enough to survive shipment.

Back
Top Bottom