Bcarl's 5 Gal. Hex Rimless Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any tips on trimming downoi?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do it very carefully and don't make eye contact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's the strategy for most of my trimming.... Also I seem to occasionally lose one or two adult RCS, how long should they live for?

I haven't talked that much about this tank. This tank is by far my favorite since entering the hobby. After the high tech world I think a lot of people underestimate the fun of a low tech tank. I am very busy and traveling with work quite a bit at the moment and a high tech tank would be very hard to maintain. The RCS in this tank have bred a few times and I probably have about 50 juvenile shrimp in the tank currently. After having this tank I am very confident most of the problems from the 26 gallon was due to my overdosing of CSM+B. I am surprised that the AR mini actually grows in these lighting conditions and I am starting to think anything over 60 PAR is pure overkill. The future plans for this tank is to eventually add some Tiger shrimp and hopefully a few more Buces, some have slowly recovered from the shipping but others did not. Anyways here are some pictures!
img_3330837_0_7c02829a279ef458d93ff05f784a8eb8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3330837_1_67ca88a2d8a14e7c3b86ef1e40efafda.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks guys, been way too long no having a good s.repens carpet! I just wish the downoi would fill out a bit. Also i have been pretty impressed with the brightwell.

Hooray!! Looks sick bro

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This tank has been in cruise control. I added some tiger shrimp, and removed the Seiryu stone to keep the KH down. I am considering some kind of rescaping this tank but I am not really sure what I want to do. The RCS breed like crazy. I also added the BML dimmed at 10% for about 3 hours and added my CO2 to it for the time being.
img_3350590_0_45ac1f25af087ef2040feb120c96874f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3350590_1_ae3efb9d2336730233ce2317fb4043d2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The tank looks gorgeous and plants look healthy. I forgot about this one.
Ever since I rescaped my shrimp tank as DW + moss only, no breeding. ?

That stinks! The downoi wasnt doing too hot under just the stingray clip. I also have been a little low on phosphates and begun to see a little deficiency. It sure is nice to be able to grow s repens again!

Nice tank you have here! It contrasts nicely.

Thanks guys! Going to start playing with some trace mixes the next few weeks. Will post any interesting findings...

I added some Urea (ammonium nitrate) to my macros solution and MnSo4 to my micros to establish a 2:1 Fe:Mn ratio to clone TPN traces. Curious to see some results

I added some Urea (ammonium nitrate) to my macros solution and MnSo4 to my micros to establish a 2:1 Fe:Mn ratio to clone TPN traces. Curious to see some results

Will the plants utilize the urea before the Herero/Autotrophic bacteria start breaking it down? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom