Beginner help on 5g shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpulido0316

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

After a series of unfortunate events, (losing all of my fish to ick), the three shrimp I owned were all that remained. We have decided to do a 5g red cherry shrimp tank that is cycled and ready for more. I have a couple of plants in there, nothing too special, some marimo balls, java moss that came with the shrimp, a pennywort that isn't doing too hot, and a plant (I think an anacharis that is doing really well). My light is a 15W incandescent bulb and I have 2 pieces of driftwood in there too. I really just need some help on trying to get everything really nice for the shrimp. We're moving 4+ hours in a week and a half so everything would have to wait until we've moved, but that's pretty much everything to the tank.

Here are the parameters:
Temperature: 80*F +- 2*F
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: less than 5ppm

*I have a kh and gh test kit but I don't know the parameters for those, but can do them if necessary.
**I also don't have CO2 running or any intention to, but will if it proves not to be too dangerous for the shrimp and not too expensive or hard to do.

I just really need some help with the plants. I have no idea what I'm doing so any help is appreciated. :thanks:

You don't need co2 for the plants that you have in the tank. But a incandescent blub won't grow plants.

Can you provide a picture of the tank? Would love to see how you have that set up and how the plants look.

Sure thing. Everything just got moved around for the shrimp so it's still all meh. I just ordered some java moss and star moss since I knew those would be ok.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1430256226565.jpg
    1430256226565.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 62
I was hoping to upgrade the light soon, but I'm not sure to what. I didn't want to make any purchases or definitive moves until I figured everything out.

You can replace it with a 6500k CFL. It isn't ideal, but should do for a little plants.

After reading up on some moneywort, I decided to propagate them. They were dying and this is sort of an experiment. I'm gonna see if making them smaller is going to help. If not, it's ok. Like I said an experiment. Also, one of the shrimp molted. :3 that means he's happy right?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1430261165341.jpg
    1430261165341.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom