Best CHEAP CO2 system for 50g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to plant my 50 like crazy, but I'm realizing that means I'm going to need a CO2 system. What's the most inexpensive but reliable system that will suit my tank?

Alternatively: Would I actually NEED a CO2 system to keep my plants alive? They don't need to grow huge or anything, just be healthy.

This all depends on what plants you want to keep..because its a 50g doesn't mean you have to go w/pressurized co2...no pressurized co2 in this tank or any of mine to date...

ForumRunner_20131015_153400.jpg

That's beautiful! That's exactly the kind of planting I want.
Thanks a bunch, now I don't need to waste money!

Not sure how much you already know so you may know more than I do, but I will operate off of the information in this thread. Based on what I have learned from this forum the last year is that CO2 requirements depend on a few factors. Most important is the type of lighting you are using. Low to medium light probably does not need it, but could benefit from flourish excel. For fast growing plants that have a high light source over them will need it. I actually have a T5HO two bulb system on mine, but I don't have fast growing plants. I have mostly fern, anubias and some amazon swords, plus lots of java moss.

I dose with flourish excel and so far I have been ok. I did have some black beard algae, but I discovered that was because I was not dosing enough excel i.e. liquid co2 booster. Liquid co2 booster is a supplement that can be used in lieu of pressurized co2, but it can be more expensive in the long run than the pressurized system. I am currently dealing with another issue I am trying to get some answers about, but the information I shared regarding co2 requirements depending on lighting etc is pretty sound as multiple users here have corroborated this info when relaying it to me for the first time.

What is your lighting? You can run any tank, even high light using liquid carbon but it has to be dosed at the correct amount for the amount of light used and the type of plants.

You don't have to spend a ton on name brand liquid carbons either (Excel and API CO2 booster). I use Metricide 14 Day Solution. If you look around online you can get a gallon for $27 shipped. Then when you get it you throw away the little activator bottle. You mix the Metricide 14 which is glutaraldehyde, at a 1:1 ratio with RO or Distilled water. You get 2 gallons for $27 which is dirt cheap. Then dose per your lighting level.

Back
Top Bottom