Best T8 bulbs for planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosoxlobsterman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I'm continuing to update my 40B southeast asian tank, and I think it's time to FINALLY upgrade my bulbs in my light fixture (I've had it a bit over a year now with the original bulbs :whistle:). It's an Odyssea 4 bulb, 72 total watt fixture, so I was wondering if I should just get broad spectrum bulbs or try to mix and match different K ratings... good brands would also be appreciated :)

I never had luck with T8 bulbs. No matter how many watts you have you just can't get the results you're looking for. I recently invested in a T5HO fixture and its amazing. But if you keep your T8 fixture I would get a plant bulb and bulbs in the 6500k range and possibly a 10,000k bulb (to get rid of the "yellowish" look).

Tank Bulbs

Hi all, I'm continuing to update my 40B southeast asian tank, and I think it's time to FINALLY upgrade my bulbs in my light fixture (I've had it a bit over a year now with the original bulbs :whistle:). It's an Odyssea 4 bulb, 72 total watt fixture, so I was wondering if I should just get broad spectrum bulbs or try to mix and match different K ratings... good brands would also be appreciated :)

Hello bo...

I use 6500K, 32 watt, T8s in my 45 G tall and the plants grow well. I just have the standard low to moderate light plants like the taller Amazon swords, Java fern and Anubias. I also float Anacharis and Pennywort in the tank. The tank has Aglaonema and Pothos emersed.

Everything grows well with weekly water changes and a little liquid fert dosed a couple times a week when I top off the tank and the tank has a fairly heavy fish load.

Research a company by the name of Solarmax, if you decide to improve the tank lighting. I have some their T5 and LED lighting systems and they're very good. Pricing is pretty reasonable.

B

Ok, thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably just switch bulbs for now, and go with a couple 6500k and one 10,000 k :)

Is this the 20" fixture (4x18w) ? If so, it's t5ho. Another way to check is look at the bulb size, if its a little over half an inch thick then it's a t5, if it's an inch thick its a t8.

Is this the 20" fixture (4x18w) ? If so, it's t5ho. Another way to check is look at the bulb size, if its a little over half an inch thick then it's a t5, if it's an inch thick its a t8.

I was pretty sure it was t8 (I remember at least looking at them), but after looking online, giving up, and taking a closer look at the fixture, it's the 24" t5 (4x 24w + 4 blue LEDs) :D! All the bulbs right now are 6500K. What's the average life of t5 bulbs, anyway?

Back
Top Bottom