binding roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coryc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is a good way to bind together a group of fragile roots, like cabomba? I do too much damage using rubberbands. Also I would like easy removal for pruning and not too unattractive for floating plants, ie no heavy metal bands. Thanks for your ideas.

Welcome to AA!

Why exactly are you binding the roots? Cabomba is a stem plant that you push into the gravel...and its planted.

I've never had a need for rubber bands, and only use plant weights to weigh down things like java fern, until they take root on their own.

Tell us your goal and we can help you more.

Hi. Thx for the welcome.
I have 2 large cabomba plants in a 36 g tank. I put one in the gravel near the filter outflow to keep it in place in the current. I like to float the other plant on the quiet side of the tank to allow more swimming room underneath and more fullness on top. I hide the root ball behind an ornament, keeps things nice and neat. I am getting some leaf debris from the lower portions of the stems and would like to trim these portions off occasionally. The rubber band came off the floater and Im having problems getting it back on. Will the plant grow better rooted in the gravel?

Will the plant grow better rooted in the gravel?

It may take some time but it will get rooted. Part of the problem is keeping them firmly rooted while in the current you described. Pushing it down as far as it will go and building a small mound around it will help.

Back
Top Bottom