Blackout Nightmare !!! :O(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had this minor algae bloom that I heard a four day blackout would cure. Well today was the 'uncovering' day and it's a mess !!:( The algae is gone, but so is a good part of my Dwarf Sag carpet and a nice section of Star Repens. The Sag just melted away, and the S.R. looks like it's been eatin. My question is this, I'm pretty sure the Sag will come back, hopefully, but the S.R. has sections where it's nothing but stems now. Should I remove those sections, or will new leaves start from those bare pieces of stem ??
This was such a BAD idea, and I had doubts about doing it. ALWAYS go with your first impression. This tank always looked FANTASTIC , but for some reason I had a minor green water issue that I could have, SHOULD have, handled differently. Now the tank looks like a complete [edit]mess! :facepalm:

All that work gone to waste in four days.........:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I had this minor algae bloom that I heard a four day blackout would cure. Well today was the 'uncovering' day and it's a mess !!:( The algae is gone, but so is a good part of my Dwarf Sag carpet and a nice section of Star Repens. The Sag just melted away, and the S.R. looks like it's been eatin. My question is this, I'm pretty sure the Sag will come back, hopefully, but the S.R. has sections where it's nothing but stems now. Should I remove those sections, or will new leaves start from those bare pieces of stem ??
This was such a BAD idea, and I had doubts about doing it. ALWAYS go with your first impression. This tank always looked FANTASTIC , but for some reason I had a minor green water issue that I could have, SHOULD have, handled differently. Now the tank looks like a complete [edit] mess! :facepalm:

All that work gone to waste in four days.........:banghead:

Normally this works if the plants in there have good carbon storage. The consensus is also three days. Not that it would make much of a difference.

Black out works well for green water (or so I am led to believe) but i would never try this personally. I have a UV filter for green water issues.

Sorry about your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for you. Had a similar issue with thread algae and did something similar and lost all but one patch of dwarf tea. Fortunately. My S repens are back but the tea is still in recovery. Hope it makes you feel better to know you are not the only one.

Im confused?? Your algae problem was cured so it worked right?

Plants will grow back again, just trim them and wait a little

Thanks for the notes and words folks. SK3lly, the Algae bloom indeed went away, but I feel the damage was worse than the algae problem !! The Star Repens are still just sticks sticking out of the substrate, but the dwarf sag is starting to recover. Just Sucks I had this beautiful tank, and now it's in shambles for a while !!!

Live and learn !!

If i had an algae problem i'd gladly take my plants suffering to cure it. They'll just grow back in a matter of weeks. If you discover the cause of the algae and rectify, then you shouldnt have to do this process again

Back
Top Bottom