Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Monday everyone!!

I did a major 2.5 hour maintenance last night, which involved pulling out some dead s. repens (replanted healthy tips), trimming some giant hairgrass, propagating some stems, mowing the lawn of HC, 50% pwc, scraping all the GSA off the glass and calcium buildup towards the top of the glass (used a razor) , and cleaned the filter.

Speaking of trimming the HC, I kid you not, before using Ultralife the BGA was deeply embedded and wide spread within the HC, which prompted me to take action after several weekly and short-lived attacks with h2o2 spot treatments (which I felt I always pushed the max dosage my 17g could handle, close to 2mL/gal)... This was a weekly or biweekly battle as the BGA die only to bounce right back with a vengeance! Grrrr, I hate this stuff!

Well, I'm happy to report, with some meticulous HC trimming last night, I combed through the HC, up close and personal, I didn't spot a single bit of BGA!
I really didn't spot any elsewhere that I can see either with the exception of one tiny patch on the sand that looked unhealthy and already on its way out.. But just in case I nuked it with h2o2 and after 15 minutes I turkey bastered it out.

I think following the instructions on the back of Ultralife, and after two dosages later in my case (about 2 weeks treatment, start to finish), what ever the secret processes are working in the background with their undisclosed ingredients... Coupled with the fact I had zero loss of fish or serious plant melts... I'll say Ultralife worked for me! Will BGA return? Time will tell.

A small clip of the trimming action last night:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4451/37337795980_bdb482b78e_o.gif

FTS to follow later when I get home.

Last edited:
FTS

*still needs to fill out.. Propagating the rotala macrandra is taking time. I'm on the fence about the giant hairgrass.. I'll give it some time tho.

20171009_144524-1008x756.jpg

Look at you trim away! Floating mess. That's one thing I don't miss about HC Cuba.
Glad that you had positive results with the Ultra-Life. That is encouraging for the rest of us.

Very true on Ultra-Life. And good to see everyone else can spend 2.5hrs on maintaining tank (it's like time goes down a black hole here).

Look at you trim away! Floating mess. That's one thing I don't miss about HC Cuba.
Glad that you had positive results with the Ultra-Life. That is encouraging for the rest of us.
lol.. I exported the .gif from my phone at x2 speed. I'm much slower! The HC isn't that bad, I just wait until I fill the tank back up to easily net all the trimmings out with a fish net. I feel like a pool cleaner at that point.

Yes, it is encouraging. If only the guys behind this product market it better and by understanding the targeted audience, they know most people who learn more about keeping aquariums are concerned with putting unknowns in their enclosed ecosystems. Especially when we take the time to measure the chemistry and whatnot. Hopefully they'll patent whatever it is, so they can disclose the biological process or chemical mechanism. Or some savvy person in the hobby comes along to analyze the ingredients for us! I'm dying to know!! Lol

Tank looks bright and beautiful. Good news for the mystical treatment!
Thanks, Autumn! I'll feel more comfortable if I see repeat success. I think one of the tanks at my parents' house has small (albeit controlled) amounts of BGA. I'm going to treat it there to see when I get a chance.
Very true on Ultra-Life. And good to see everyone else can spend 2.5hrs on maintaining tank (it's like time goes down a black hole here).
Yup.. I didn't realize how much time flew by. Maintaining tanks used to be faster for me when I had a python. Think I need to get another one to shorten these maintenance times! Lol

Once I get started, there always seems to be "just one more thing."
Yup yup.. Once the hands dive into the tank, always something new to clean or trim or rearrange that wasn't part of the original plan.

Bruin fan, BTW! Grew up between Santa Monica and Westwood.. Now I'm a Sun Devil tho. ?

Update.. Not a big one.

After a week, post treatment, I don't see any signs of BGA! Not even a sliver of it. Prior to Ultralifie, my H2O2 treatments were a weekly battle. I'm crossing my fingers it'll stay that way.

Here's a FTS as of tonight. I need to do my weekly maintenance this Sunday or Monday. I did add otocinclus to deal with the new brown fuzzy hair algae that decided to take the place of BGA. I know the otos will love to eat this stuff!

20171013_200512.jpg20171013_200419.jpg

Edit: looking at my FTS, thinking that the HOB (Fluval C2) is looking out of place.. Might get a can going with lilies on here soon and stop being lazy. Lol

Last edited:
Congrats! A documented success story. Let's hope it stays away.
I did not notice the HOB until you mentioned. Looks fine to me. What canister did you have in mind for this tank? Breaking out the the old lily pipes? Or going stainless steel?

Thanks.. I actually have 2 sets of lilies. The 10mm CalAqua Labs will go to 12g Long, and a pair of Do!Aqua 17mm glass lily pipes will possibly go here. Currently at my parents' house, there's a low maintenance 26g bow front using a Fluval 406. I also have a Fluval C4 I picked up on clearance years ago sitting brand new in box. Thinking to setup the bow front with the C4 so I can get the 406 for the 17mm lilly pipes. So no new cost, other than needing some hose clamps and vinyl tubing. Still on the fence tho. I wish I had stainless steel pipes. I'll probably be too lazy to clean the glass and they'll get unsightly soon enough if I use them... Hmmmm, decisions decisions. Lol

Yup yup.. Once the hands dive into the tank, always something new to clean or trim or rearrange that wasn't part of the original plan.

I know, and the fish are all "Hey! Air-breather! Get your big mitts outta our home!" :lol:

Bruin fan, BTW! Grew up between Santa Monica and Westwood.. Now I'm a Sun Devil tho. ?

I work at UCLA. Thinking of moving to Flagstaff after I retire.

Back
Top Bottom