Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not tring to bombard you, but also was thinking of the maintenance of the culling for the tank, was one consideration I had which was that the shrimp produce offspring which are not a requirement to be constantly removing off colored babies.

Interesting treatment option, haven't heard of t til now.

Nice pics of shrimp possibilities, you can do a combination of 2 kinds and I saw you had Super Tigers and TT.

Not an endorsement but just a good looking shrimp
10 Bloody Mary Live Aquarium Shrimp Neocaridina | eBay
Thanks for the suggestions.. I think these look super cool. In terms of grade level, how to they stack up against the Fire Reds I have already?

Yeah I'd like to get a Neo sp. and a Caridina sp. so I'll have variety and not cross breeding.

Have you seen those Cardinal Sulawesi Shrimp available yet? I read there are usually gathered from the wild, but there has been some US breeders getting them breed multi-generational to be more robust and use to our waters. They look nice! I hope they become more readily available.

Cardinal-Shrimp-Sulawesi-Cardinal-Shrimp-Wine-Red-Cardinal-for-sale-and-information-AquaticMag-3.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions.. I think these look super cool. In terms of grade level, how to they stack up against the Fire Reds I have already?

Yeah I'd like to get a Neo sp. and a Caridina sp. so I'll have variety and not cross breeding.

Have you seen those Cardinal Sulawesi Shrimp available yet? I read there are usually gathered from the wild, but there has been some US breeders getting them breed multi-generational to be more robust and use to our waters. They look nice! I hope they become more readily available.

View attachment 303955

Wow - these shrimp look great. Planning on getting some shrimp next auction but nothing like those colours.

There are few of the Cardinal Shrimp available even if a seller lists them they are often unavailable, and fairly expensive $10-25 each. Saw them on aquabid recently.

A couple years back I missed getting these from a hobbyist in the area for around ~$7., even emailed and reviewed the parameter needs and decided they like very mineral rich water and I have 0 KH. At the time I didn't really know much about using RO and remineralizing. Where this person lives, their tap water was 8 pH or better, mine is 6.4-7.4 depending on time of year. So I thank them and walked away thinking I could always get them later! WRONG!!!

If you can get them it would truly be a wonder in the tank, but their parameters wouldn't be the same for any other Neo I am familiar with. Maybe another Sulawesi though.

Sending you a PM too.

Interesting on the temp and pH...opposite of what I thought. Might be a bit too warm for Neos. I missed the part about GH/KH. What is preferred for those?

According the shrimpery, "its natural habitat retains a temperature of 82-85F, pH 8.5, TDS 180-220, GH 7, KH 5, and dissolved oxygen of 6.93 mg/L. Stability and highly oxygenated waters are a must for this species. Since its introduction, hobbyists have had success in pH conditions as low as 7.4. *However, a temperature range of 82+ still seems necessary even for tank-born shrimp, as well as very stable water parameters." They seem harder to keepand a little more touchy than I initially thought. If I ever get these little critters, they're going on their own tank.. I'd bust out the 6g GLA tank I have in the garage and using seiryu stone and caribsea aragonite or crushed coral to buffer the pH. I'd also get remineralizer, like salty shrimp's Sulawesi Mineral 7.5. We'll see.. For now they're going on the back burner as I focus on this build (60p) and the 12g long.

In other news, the ultralife has arrived. I dug out my old air pump / airstone for this treatment.

Hopefully it works as my tank is getting ravaged and brutally assaulted with BGA.

20170925_094407.jpg

Here's some reference photos of the current state of BGA infestation. I won't manually remove any as I want to judge the effectiveness of this product.

20170925_094523_crop_948x645.jpg

20170925_094604-1008x756.jpg

I'm thinking to do a controlled side experiment, as well. I'm going to get two tiny samples of BGA and place one in a small container with untreated tank water and the other with a little bit of ultralife. I'll see if there's any change between the two specimens.

Last edited:
Well as per instructions, I added an airstone and mixed 2 leveled scoops per 15 gallons.. So for me, it was like 2.2 scoops (17 gallon tank).

I also setup the side experiment:
20170925_160928.jpg

I have no clue what's in it. I thought active ingredients need to be listed on stuff?! Lol... It just says contains "natural cellular matter, biological accelerators, and special supplements" (to target BGA), all while not affecting macro-algae, nitrifying bacteria, or fish. Sound too good to be true. But we'll see.

Sounds like something used for terrestrial weeds. The growth rate is accelerated to the point where it literally starves to death.
I'm still a fan of erythromycin but also interested in alternatives.

Interesting about the growth accelerator for weeds thing. Didn't know. I was a big fan of EM too as it really did the trick for me. But it's expensive. If this stuff works like the reviews say it does, it's going to be way more cost effective. The little jar can treat up to 150 gallons and can do it usually in 1 dose. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

I wonder if iron sulphate is in there?? Just being doing a lawn weed and feed & trying to look up what iron sulphate actually does.

"Iron sulphate burns foliage and exhausts plants. It is most effective on broad-leaved annual weeds (aka flatweeds). Since they do not have large energy store (like a taproot or bulb) they can be killed in one or two applications."

Back
Top Bottom