Brown spots on plants, tank walls and some rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few are a good thing. The only time snails get out of hand is when overfeeding of fish occurs. The more food available the faster they breed. MTS's are actually live bearers.

Ah, I didn't know that. I just don't want to create a problem where I'd have to start destroying them 'cause there are too many.

I'd find a way to cut your lights to only 6-8 hours a day. You said you have a new tank, but is it a new light and if it isn't how long has it been since you changed the bulb?

Brown spots

I had those appear too when my tank had been set up for about 1 1/2 months. I bought one of those small algae eaters (skinny with stripes) and he had cleaned it all up within a day. He keeps things sparkling clean and I haven't seen those brown/yellow spots since.

I mean did you clean the plants and rocks but it might be because if the sun if it is near a window

How long do you put on the lights of your tank each day? Because my tank is new and I don't have any spots but that's because I hardly put my lights on

Why don't you put your lights on for less your fish don't need it my light are off almost all the time my fish are so happy

Brown Diatom Algae

I had a brown Diatom algae bloom near the end of my tank's cycle. A week or so before it broke out my T12 lights failed and I bought new T5 HO lights. Talked to the LFS and they advised to reduce the amount of time the lights were on (I had them on about 14 hours/day). He also suggested a couple Bristle Nose Plecos - those guys cleared a ton in just one day. Of course, I did manual cleaning with WC. Later, after reading some articles, I bought a trio of Otocilclus Catfish (the little sucker mouths with the stripe someone up-thread mentioned). Both the Oto cats and BN eat off the plants as well as rocks, slate, glass. Need some of those snails next trip to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom