Bulb replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FW Goober

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys I currently have a T5 HO setup with 2 bulbs one is 10000k the other is actinic bulb, which I know is useless it's from when I was using a SW tank. My question is should I replace that actinic bulb with another 10000k? My water depth is 20 inches from the water surface to the substrate. Also will 2 bulbs be enough for that depth? I am using plants also they are surviving but not noticing much growth over 2-3 weeks. I should mention it's a 36 inch bulb

Thanks

Last edited:
No I would replace it with either 6,500K bulb or an wavepoint ultra growth bulb. 10,000k bulbs are not normally the best for freshwater. The best would be if you replaced both bulbs with the two mentioned above.

Thanks for the advice. Just wondering because of my depth should I go with another couple of 6500Ks?

It would all depend on what you are trying to grow. Do you have any plant species in mind?

Right I have in the tank is
Proserpinaca palustris
Hygrophila araguaia
Eleocharis acicularis

Hmm That's a tricky question. You will probably be able to grow them with just the two but if you wanted faster thicker more colorful growth uping the light would defiantly help.

If the plants are new this month then they may still be settling in. If another month goes by and growth is still slow then could be light or CO2 related. If you had CO2 I'd go with more light as that would help growth but you need both.

You could try liquid carbon (glut) and see if that helps. Just start at half dose and see how the plants go with it.

I really like Delapool's suggestion of dosing liquid co2. I think the plants you mentioned would benefit from it.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it. I'm going to replace both bulbs with 6700k and start dosing with liquid co2.

Back
Top Bottom