Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tanks getting better by the day. No micros or macros 25% water changes every other day. No filter media just air pump/skimmer.

Rotala wallichii is one of the most sensitive plants to toxicity. It doesn't look good but i'm not giving up on it yet.

Here are some other pictures I have taken RE toxicity. If it's not getting in everybody's nerves me piping on about it that is but it's just so obvious.

Below is a picture of a crypt. The pale almost deck of card spade shaped things in the middle are stunted leaves caused by micro toxicity.

IMG_2682.jpg

Next up is my dull bronzed out greeny AR mini that is finally showing straighter pinker new growth [emoji2]

IMG_2683.jpg

Hygrophila pinnatifida with holes in the old leaves. I have culled most of the pinhole leaves on this plant already. Confused with potassium deficiency. You can see on the right stem
Two new perfectly pinhole free leaves appearing.

IMG_2684.jpg

Blanched and twisted rotala macrandra leave still not 100% recovered up top but in the second picture you can see new healthy beautifully formed shoots sprouting up.

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

Lagenandra meeboldii showing algae covered older leaves. Newer leaves perfectly formed and algae free. Another two on the way. This plant is a fast grower!

IMG_2686.jpg

The Pogostemon erectus that didn't grow for weeks on end is now close to the top of the tank. You can see the shorter algae covered leaves at the bottom compared with the long flowing healthy leaves at the top.

IMG_2687.jpg

Hope some of this info is proving useful. [emoji846]

Forgot to add my most delightful discovery. Previously stunted Monte Carlo leaves below. Most of which would melt away after time.

IMG_2691.jpg

Is now FINALLY showing new growth that is actually clinging to the substrate! It's been growing upwards forever.

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

Happy plant keeping [emoji1]

So what exactly have u changed? Lean dosing of macros and no micro's at all?
Any iron at all?
Dosing twice a week with macros?
No GH booster?

I did a big macro hit about 4 days ago. Mainly adding calcium to 40ppm and EI for the rest. I haven't dosed micros for about 2 and a half weeks.

About a couple of hours after I added the macros I noticed these new developments and concluded that this was occurring before any nutrient additions. That's not to say I didn't have any from previous dosings so I decided to change smaller amounts of water 20l about 25% using tap water left to gas off so I didnt have to use my dechlorinator (didn't want to use EDTA or any other metal chelate) that's another story.

I've probably removed most of what I dosed the other day and I also noticed a day after dosing the macros my rotala macrandra bleached white. It's going back to normal now.

Like I said I've taken the canister filter away as I want all the bacteria stuck to the plants and in the soil. I've been feeding fish food a little more often too and decided to increase the light again to setting 3 on both fixtures. So far so good.

I did make a few changes but it's the ferts. Maybe not so much macros but definitely 100% micro issue. No iron. I didn't dose iron or traces or calcium in my 180 litre. Soil has lots of iron.

I'm just keeping up with the co2 and encouraging my fish to poop more. Shrimp are increasing by the day and the shrimp are waaaay more active and actually come out now. Pearling has finally returned after increasing the light. The tank is happy again.

I've got some interesting observations myself to add once I get home from work, don't have the time to type it out now but I'll let u know my thoughts aswell. I've noticed a lot of change over the last week or so

Awesome...
Have followed your thread for a long time and with great interest.

Your journey helped me go from low tech to more difficult plants, and you influenced my decision to go pps-pro instead of ei. I don't know enough to usually add much to the conversation, other than to tell you your tanks look great, but it's great to see you finally get some progress with the micro deficiency problem.

I've got some interesting observations myself to add once I get home from work, don't have the time to type it out now but I'll let u know my thoughts aswell. I've noticed a lot of change over the last week or so

Very interested. God I wish I wasn't so geekily excited about this stuff. [emoji851]

Awesome...
Have followed your thread for a long time and with great interest.

Your journey helped me go from low tech to more difficult plants, and you influenced my decision to go pps-pro instead of ei. I don't know enough to usually add much to the conversation, other than to tell you your tanks look great, but it's great to see you finally get some progress with the micro deficiency problem.

Brilliant. I'm just really glad my issues are helping people to think a little bit more about heavy metals. I'm actually glad this happened to me because I would never have learned some of the things I know now.

Thanks for the feedback.

That MC is turning bright green very nice

Cheers KK. It's starting to take off now. I've just hung in there. I told myself I was not giving up. There is a reason I can't grow plants and I would find the answer. Still I may have to replace the wallichii for the fourth and hopefully final time.

Cheers KK. It's starting to take off now. I've just hung in there. I told myself I was not giving up. There is a reason I can't grow plants and I would find the answer. Still I may have to replace the wallichii for the fourth and hopefully final time.
:) only problem I had with wallachi was debris getting caught in it

I'm thinking pinholes in hygrophila is actually a Mn toxicity. Hygros seem to be particularly susceptible.

Mine looked like burned matchsticks so the stunted growth I have now is a vast improvement. I have high hopes for test batch #5 [emoji851][emoji23]

Don't get your hopes up lol I threw out my rotala last week because it would grow and then turn to a match stick again lol when I pulled it out the stems were almost rotten looking below the substrate, minimal roots etc

Don't get your hopes up lol I threw out my rotala last week because it would grow and then turn to a match stick again lol when I pulled it out the stems were almost rotten looking below the substrate, minimal roots etc

I'll probably replace it at the weekend [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom