Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah man. Is Amano shrimp breeding common enough in freshwater? Most likely black crystal

Do you know much about shrimp? The wife really wants to get some but I'm abit worried about the Angels and the barbs. Do u think I'd have the plant mass to keep them hidden from the nippers?

Do you know much about shrimp? The wife really wants to get some but I'm abit worried about the Angels and the barbs. Do u think I'd have the plant mass to keep them hidden from the nippers?

I'd say no for the angels. There are clever hunters. I don't really know much about them. I never feed them or do anything special with them. They just get on with it. Suits me [emoji846]

Last edited:
I'd say no for the angels. There are clever hunters. I don't really know much about them. I never feed them or do anything special with them. They just get on with it. Suits me [emoji846]

Bugger! Maybe the next tank then ;) might go a planted shrimp only ;)

Bugger! Maybe the next tank then ;) might go a planted shrimp only ;)

I do like them a lot though. I'm definitely not a snail guy but don't tell the crazy snail ladies..

The nerites started dotting those sesame seeds around which is rather annoying.

I dont get any graffiti. Maybe because I dont feed them ??? Or maybe cause there smaller? Idk

I dont get any graffiti. Maybe because I dont feed them ??? Or maybe cause there smaller? Idk

Maybe because they are boyz???!!! Or too young. (not nearly as funny though)

So what are the baby shrimp looking like? Pic?

Also you can keep the shrimp in a planted bowl. Big glass 3G canisters with lid for sale in the glasswares section at W. mart for around 12. pricing went up recently not positive. Feed lightly and do a couple solo cups pwc a couple times a week. Clean out bowl periodically, more often if there are any snails like Red Ramshorn ( :) ) I need one of those, broke one long back now.

Side note(Any thought of how to drill through the glass lid, PM me with any ideas for that super diamond drill??? Used clear gel looking dots for bottom of things on tables found in the hardward section next to the felt pads to keep the lid up a smidge for air exchange previously.)

Maybe because they are boyz???!!! Or too young. (not nearly as funny though)

So what are the baby shrimp looking like? Pic?

Also you can keep the shrimp in a planted bowl. Big glass 3G canisters with lid for sale in the glasswares section at W. mart for around 12. pricing went up recently not positive. Feed lightly and do a couple solo cups pwc a couple times a week. Clean out bowl periodically, more often if there are any snails like Red Ramshorn ( :) ) I need one of those, broke one long back now.

Side note(Any thought of how to drill through the glass lid, PM me with any ideas for that super diamond drill??? Used clear gel looking dots for bottom of things on tables found in the hardward section next to the felt pads to keep the lid up a smidge for air exchange previously.)

I had a chance to get a pic but was too lazy. I'll see if I can spot them again today. I'll find 3-4 in my surface skimmer when I clean that out. Probably lots of food on the little sponge.

Added some ferts yesterday. 15ppm nitrate 5ppm calcium from calcium nitrate. 5ppm mg, 3ppm phosphate and 7ppm potassium. Still no traces. Had a very good response which would assume I had a limiting nutrient (duh)

The ludwigia and bacopa are now out of the water and the luds have sprouted their first emersed leaves so they may be sucking up lots of nutrients (atmospheric co2+high PAR) they need to be trimmed but that means uprooting and I don't want to have to deal with that today.

I'll upload some pics shortly.

Other changes I made which seems to have helped. I got rid of the canister filter. After my co2 ran out I set up my second extinguisher but I had a leak around the UP atomisers screw thread so I just packed it all up and put it in the loft. It was too big. I wanted to run the bazooka diffuser in to the intake but I didn't have enough filter hose to bypass the UP atomiser.

So I now have the bazooka in tank diffuser underneath the surface skimmer. What's cool is that the bubbles go straight up but before they hit the surface the skimmer drags them in, chops them up through the fine 2x2 inch sponge and spits the co2 across the tank. Seems to work a treat but I do now wonder how long that leak on the UP atomiser has been there as my DC is going green way quicker.

I've also been using additional urea dosing now and then.

Yesterday the tank was very active which may have been a result of the plants actually contributing to the o2 content rather than diminishing it.

Just at been doing some trimming discarding and replanting. I'm 95% sure that I have baby Amano shrimp. The female is also berried again.

When the tank is less cloudy I'll grab a pic....

Always a co2 issue [emoji23] your ferts are fine! It must be co2!

That's what I didn't like about the up Aqua atomizer. The thread where u put the hose on is so small... Very easy for it to fall sideways abit and leak. Much happier with a reactor :)

No algae from the leaking co2?

Always a co2 issue [emoji23] your ferts are fine! It must be co2!

That's what I didn't like about the up Aqua atomizer. The thread where u put the hose on is so small... Very easy for it to fall sideways abit and leak. Much happier with a reactor :)

No algae from the leaking co2?

No because lights were low. Actually I did get a bit of hair on the MC which is supposedly the co2 related algae.

lol it might have actually been the co2. Having said that. Yesterday's addition of ferts definitely improved things.

Here is a picture of the tank today before I binned the bacopa and the ludwigia.

IMG_2638.jpg

Also here's a little video of the simmer dragging the bubbles in.

https://youtu.be/wKu3YUZ8_Mg

Cheers Dela. I've made a few small changes. Hopefully water is clear enough to show later on. It settled much quicker this time round.

That Carlo has really taken off! Looks good bud!

I'd regards to the calcium I've only recently (this week) doubled my calcium and mg. haven't seen any negative effects yet nor have a I seen much improvement to the issues I'm trying to combat. However it's early days yet.

I'd imagine u would have to go to a serious amount of chloride before it became an issue? I've also got some sulphate so I could mix the 2 if needed I guess.

Thanks Bert. A lot of the Carlo is shot. I've just trimmed it so will see how new growth appears.

Going to up my calcium to the 30ppm mark tonight and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom