CFLs for 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had no problems with algae in my 10g and 5g tanks. I am using two 27 watt bulbs on the 10g and one 27 watt on the 5g. I use DIY CO2 with a bell type diffusing method and dry fertilizers. I was using three of these bulbs on my 29 gallon and the only algae outbreak I had was when I let my CO2 mixture get old. Once that was corrected, the algae left. I am now using a dual T5HO light from Aquatraders just because I wanted a nicer looking light. Something that wasn't so bulky. Still no algae problem. My plants are growing great. I do have my tanks planted heavily. Maybe that makes a difference.

There's always that person who will say, hey it works for me, I have 0 algae, yada yada yada.... What I'm saying is that you don't really ever NEED that much light, it'll make running the tank more difficult, and more of a risk. Adequate co2, ferts, and moderate light is much easier to balance, maintain, etc., and you'll still see tremendous growth. I'd invest in an expensive pressurized co2 system before a fancy light any day.

I wrote this on another thread

13 watt cfl daylight 6500
Wisteria
Amazon swords
Pennywort
Hornwort
Bronze wendtii crypt
Red wendtii crypt
Narrow leaf Ludwigia
Anubias
Moss balls
Java fern
Java moss
Dwarf lilies
Crypt pontederifolia

Under the
26 watt cfl daylight - times two bulbs for my 20 and 29 gallon tanks

Everything that was listed for the 13 plus

Jungal Val
Gold Lloydiella
Duckweed
Water lettuce
Narrow leaf chainswords
Willow hydro
Red tiger lotus
Red melon sword
Kleiner bar swords
Hygrophilia corymbosa
Microswords
Riccia I think that's how it's spelled

I'm currently working on scarlet temple and Limnophila aromatica" hippuroides". Both of these plants melted back to almost nothing. After giving them a huge trim job they both have new growth. I'm hoping the scarlet temple makes it cause its my favorite plant so far.

I hope this is some help to you. Also wanted to tell you almost all plants I got from http://www.peabodysparadise.com/shop/

I agree with the part about PAR. 30-40 PAR definitely would be enough, no need to really go further.

The part about co2 is also right. CO2 isn't "the" main factor in plant growth IMO, however it is an important part. In nature, there are many co2-rich areas that have marginal plant growth, and that's because there is little light. However there comes a point in a planted tank where adding more light is silly, and co2 is really what's needed.

So do you guys think I could have a Dwarf hairgrass carpet and have rotala mini butterfly survive fine with 2 13w CFLs? I WILL lose PAR from having them on their side. So how I'm wondering if 2 10w U-shaped CFLs (already have) would be sufficient.

So do you guys think I could have a Dwarf hairgrass carpet and have rotala mini butterfly survive fine with 2 13w CFLs? I WILL lose PAR from having them on their side. So how I'm wondering if 2 10w U-shaped CFLs (already have) would be sufficient.

With the proper substrate, water column dosing, and injected co2, you should be fine. The U shape bulbs will give you better par when mounted horizontally, it's just a bummer they are hard to find in anything other than 10w versions. A decent DIY co2 setup should get you by in a 10g. If you want the DHG to carpet, plant as much as you can from the start, 3/4" apart, in a checkerboard pattern. Patience is the key, you're not gonna grow a carpet overnight. With a few months of proper care, it's definitely doable.

With the proper substrate, water column dosing, and injected co2, you should be fine. The U shape bulbs will give you better par when mounted horizontally, it's just a bummer they are hard to find in anything other than 10w versions. A decent DIY co2 setup should get you by in a 10g. If you want the DHG to carpet, plant as much as you can from the start, 3/4" apart, in a checkerboard pattern. Patience is the key, you're not gonna grow a carpet overnight. With a few months of proper care, it's definitely doable.

It should help that I don't want a very big carpet. Thanks for all your help I will probably stick with 10w u-shaped cfls and see if it works out.

Also, I would like to thank everyone who answered!

Back
Top Bottom