chain sword going transparent...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rkilling1 said:
Are you adding anything else to the tank? like salt.
NEVER! 8O :D
"there must be an easier way to figure out dry CSM+B dosing... "

http://justanothertank.com/calcs.php
851.625 mg fe is what i got... how do i measure that out? i left my "digy" at school... 8O

if you do not know what a "digy" is good... if you do then i can assume one of two things...
a) you work with high school students
or
b) aquariums is not your first hobby :twisted:

JDogg said:
851.625 mg fe is what i got... how do i measure that out? i left my "digy" at school... 8O

How did you come up with that?

If you plug in 9 tsp for the CSM+B in the first line, then 500mls for the second, 75 for the third, and 15 mls for the dose. It comes up with .281 PPM Fe for each dose.

rkilling1 said:
JDogg said:

How did you come up with that?

If you plug in 9 tsp for the CSM+B in the first line, then 500mls for the second, 75 for the third, and 15 mls for the dose. It comes up with .281 PPM Fe for each dose.
that works :D

i was trying to figure out dry dosing :?

anyways do you think this is the root of my problem? cause i have already been doing alot of fe i think and how will this prevent precipitation on the bottom of the bottle?

JDogg said:

Oh, in that case, it's 1/4 Tsp of CSM+B every other day for an Fe concetration of .2 PPM.

JDogg said:
anyways do you think this is the root of my problem? cause i have already been doing alot of fe i think and how will this prevent precipitation on the bottom of the bottle?

How do you know that the percipitation in the bottle is Fe? Have you run the mass thru an ICP to discern the properties of said precipitation. What I am getting at is, I do not think you are having a problem dosing CSM+B. You can up your dosing and see what happens. Try and double it for a few weeks if you think you are having Fe problems. That would put you at .6PPM Fe and would rule out ALL Fe problems with the exception being something binding it and making it unavailble to the plants. (This is something that I am unfamiliar with)

I am dosing the same stuff you are and I am pretty sure I have more plant mass in my tank and I DO NOT have root tabs and my swords are doing fine. (of coarse my tap water could have more Fe in it then yours) I have white flakes (precipitation) in the bottom of my dosing bottles as well.

EDIT: do you agitate the CSM+B solution everytime to ensure that it is homogeneous prior to dosing?

rkilling1 said:
JDogg said:

Oh, in that case, it's 1/4 Tsp of CSM+B every other day for an Fe concetration of .2 PPM.
that is more like it :D

How do you know that the percipitation in the bottle is Fe? Have you run the mass thru an ICP to discern the properties of said precipitation. What I am getting at is, I do not think you are having a problem dosing CSM+B. You can up your dosing and see what happens. Try and double it for a few weeks if you think you are having Fe problems. That would put you at .6PPM Fe and would rule out ALL Fe problems with the exception being something binding it and making it unavailble to the plants. (This is something that I am unfamiliar with)

I am dosing the same stuff you are and I am pretty sure I have more plant mass in my tank and I DO NOT have root tabs and my swords are doing fine. (of coarse my tap water could have more Fe in it then yours) I have white flakes (precipitation) in the bottom of my dosing bottles as well.

EDIT: do you agitate the CSM+B solution everytime to ensure that it is homogeneous prior to dosing?
i do shake it before dosing, but that was more recently after i started to notice the precipitate...and yes i do not know what the chemical make up of the precipitate is :roll: i am just a lowly underpaied high school science teacher... 8O LOL

i find it kind of odd though that the only plant showing signed is the chain swords... :?

When I would make up my CSM+B stock solution it was using hot tap water. In hindsight I should have used distilled water, as its possible the precipitates were not from the CSM+B. I could never resuspend the precipitate as it was crystallized on the bottom and shaking did nothing.

This is another one of those ODD "deficiencies" where the symptoms don't match the cause(s).

7Enigma said:
When I would make up my CSM+B stock solution it was using hot tap water. In hindsight I should have used distilled water, as its possible the precipitates were not from the CSM+B. I could never resuspend the precipitate as it was crystallized on the bottom and shaking did nothing.

This is another one of those ODD "deficiencies" where the symptoms don't match the cause(s).
the wierd thing is as far as i can tell i have all my bases covered :?

JDogg said:
i find it kind of odd though that the only plant showing signed is the chain swords... :?

It is odd, but not unexpected. Some plants need more of, or use more of, one nutrient then others.

An immobile element deficiency causes the new leaves to have the same problem that the older leaves have, again these elements are: boron, calcium, copper, iron, manganese, and sulfur.

I think uping your CSM+B dosing would be a good start as this would rule out half of those elements.

rkilling1 said:
JDogg said:

It is odd, but not unexpected. Some plants need more of, or use more of, one nutrient then others.

An immobile element deficiency causes the new leaves to have the same problem that the older leaves have, again these elements are: boron, calcium, copper, iron, manganese, and sulfur.

I think uping your CSM+B dosing would be a good start as this would rule out half of those elements.
well i am taking advantage of being out of town the next 3 days for thanksgiving to try to black out to kill BGA (cause by Gel-Tek???) so will do pwc sunday morning and start new dosing at that time...

Back
Top Bottom