Changed to Canister & Water Disrupted Less - Need Powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theoutdoorsykid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I've got a 29 gallon planted freshwater tank that's pretty heavily stocked. I had a 60 gallon HOB filter until today when it crapped out and I quickly snagged a 55 Gallon Marineland Canister filter to replace it. I have a fish store I trust, but it's like an hour away, and I need to get to work - so I just grabbed this thing from the PetSmart down the road and headed off to work. First, is this a decent canister filter or should I get a different one? Secondly, since water isn't pouring on top, the surface is much less disturbed, which I always thought was necessary for oxygen. So, should I add a powerhead or something to move the water around more? What do others do? Also, thinking of adding an inline heater/UV filter. Any thoughts on that also appreciated. But mostly, I'm posting bc I'm concerned about having enough water movement for oxygenation and happy fish.

Thanks!!!

I also have a 29 with a canister (Fluval 206) and found that my tank had some dead spots until I added a powerhead. I got a Koralia 240 on Amazon for pretty cheap and it works perfectly. My tank does not have much surface agitation at the top but my fish seem to do fine.

Hey all,

I've got a 29 gallon planted freshwater tank that's pretty heavily stocked. I had a 60 gallon HOB filter until today when it crapped out and I quickly snagged a 55 Gallon Marineland Canister filter to replace it. I have a fish store I trust, but it's like an hour away, and I need to get to work - so I just grabbed this thing from the PetSmart down the road and headed off to work. First, is this a decent canister filter or should I get a different one? Secondly, since water isn't pouring on top, the surface is much less disturbed, which I always thought was necessary for oxygen. So, should I add a powerhead or something to move the water around more? What do others do? Also, thinking of adding an inline heater/UV filter. Any thoughts on that also appreciated. But mostly, I'm posting bc I'm concerned about having enough water movement for oxygenation and happy fish.

Thanks!!!

The marineland canister c-series is pretty good. Though fluval and rena canisters are the most reliable and ,IMO, the best ones. I didn't get just a powerhead when I got a small canister. I got a UV sterilizer with a powerhead attached. The only reason I got the UV was because I had a major green water problem. It cleared the water up within a few weeks. I keep both the filter and UV on at all times to get max flow and filtration. I wouldn't get an inline heater because I have not found one that is reliable yet. They are also not worth the money.
You wouldn't necessarily need a powerhead. The canister provides a good amount if flow for a 29g. I would try and put the outflow as close to the surface as you can. That way, the water at the surface can move the most, causing a good oxygen exchange.

How heavily planted is your tank? If u have enough plants they will produce Oxegen for your fish.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies! Tank isn't super lush, but it's planted pretty well. Good point. Also have Dennison Barbs (Roseline Sharks) and I hear they like more water flow. UV/Power head seems interesting. Any downside to UV? Kill good bacteria? As for set up of canister, do most put the intake on one aide and the outflow on the other? Seems that'd be the best. Thanks for all your help. Was happy to return from work and see new filtered hadn't leaked everywhere. Working like a charm so far.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom