Changing Light array

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to upgrade the lighting on my 39gal fw tank. My tank lid has that nasty clear plastic covering from back when the tank had its equally nasty fluorescent hood - see attached photo.

I want to upgrade to LED & have decided on an array from www.buildmyled.com

Most sites selling higher-end lighting always show a topless tank, with only the lighting array positioned over the tank

So my question: what do people typically do with that nasty clear plastic covering? I want to remove it completely- it's a b*tch to keep clean. The problem is it doesn't seem that easy to remove.... Do I just muscle it off of there?

Attachments

• image-2077192331.jpg
    image-2077192331.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 53
What's so bad about the light fixture besides the plastic? It looks like a nice t5 light to me and unless you want high light then I see no point in switching fixtures. If you don't really like the plastic how about a glass versa top instead?

I want to upgrade the lighting on my 39gal fw tank. My tank lid has that nasty clear plastic covering from back when the tank had its equally nasty fluorescent hood - see attached photo.

I want to upgrade to LED & have decided on an array from www.buildmyled.com

Most sites selling higher-end lighting always show a topless tank, with only the lighting array positioned over the tank

So my question: what do people typically do with that nasty clear plastic covering? I want to remove it completely- it's a b*tch to keep clean. The problem is it doesn't seem that easy to remove.... Do I just muscle it off of there?

I have the same plastic cover. And it really is annoying to keep clean. I would go for the Aqueon versa-tops as well. As for lights, which ones were you planing to actually get? Do you have live plants? Do you want low, med, or high light?

Bulk Reef Supply sells a DIY kit to make a screen top for your tank, thats something that might work for you.
If you have an air stone in your tank then you might consider removing it. Before removing my air stones my tank lids and HOB filters would get really nasty but now the problem is almost non existent it really does make that big of a difference. Your HOB filter will provide plenty of surface agitation for proper gas exchange so your fish will be fine without an air stone.

Bulk Reef Supply sells a DIY kit to make a screen top for your tank, thats something that might work for you.
If you have an air stone in your tank then you might consider removing it. Before removing my air stones my tank lids and HOB filters would get really nasty but now the problem is almost non existent it really does make that big of a difference. Your HOB filter will provide plenty of surface agitation for proper gas exchange so your fish will be fine without an air stone.

I've actually just ditched my air stone for aesthetic reasons. Plus, a trusted resource at LFS blamed a recent mass die-off of plants in his home tank on a gas exchange issue he felt was made worse by an air stone he had running.
Lately, I just like the tranquility of my tank without constant flow of bubbles

I have the same plastic cover. And it really is annoying to keep clean. I would go for the Aqueon versa-tops as well. As for lights, which ones were you planing to actually get? Do you have live plants? Do you want low, med, or high light?

Ultimately I'd like a lighting system that could accommodate any plants I put in there. Im in no hurry to put high light plants in, since I'm pretty new with planted tanks. I need to learn more about the requirements that med & hi light plants have (fertilizers, C02 diffusers, etc).

But I also don't want to have to she'll out more money in 6 months for another light array if I feel like tackling other plants down the road. The light I buy now should be able to handle the inevitable learning curve

I'm impressed by the reviews of these :

http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-lights/

I've actually just ditched my air stone for aesthetic reasons. Plus, a trusted resource at LFS blamed a recent mass die-off of plants in his home tank on a gas exchange issue he felt was made worse by an air stone he had running.
Lately, I just like the tranquility of my tank without constant flow of bubbles

Yeah I enjoy my tank much more without the noisy bubbles.
If your wondering about the plant die off due to gas exchange it's b/c (without CO2 injection) the little bit of available CO2 is gassing out of your tank in exchange for oxygen. Too much surface agitation caused by filters, pumps, or bubbles can exhilarate this process but for most hardy plants its not a problem.
If you think your experiencing this issue you can use a carbon supplement like Flourish Excel that's what I use and there are a couple more brands available.

... If you think your experiencing this issue you can use a carbon supplement like Flourish Excel that's what I use and there are a couple more brands available.

Yes, I learned from multiple sources on this forum about using Flourish / Excel / or equivalents.

I took their advice, understanding only that it was beneficial. Obviously a certain comprehension of the chemistry going on in all of our tanks is a good thing too, and I'm glad that I'm making gradual headway ..... : )

I like the BuildmyLED I got. It has a good color spectrum, plants and fish look good, and I see a difference in my plants. I also only went with the 75 degree beam angle as I wanted a slightly brighter more condensed light with the depth of my tank. You should order the dimmer so you can use the light at whatever level you want and increase the light brightness when you go into higher light plants. I didn't get one and am considering ordering it now.

I like the BuildmyLED I got. It has a good color spectrum, plants and fish look good, and I see a difference in my plants. I also only went with the 75 degree beam angle as I wanted a slightly brighter more condensed light with the depth of my tank. You should order the dimmer so you can use the light at whatever level you want and increase the light brightness when you go into higher light plants. I didn't get one and am considering ordering it now.

Did you get either the standard planted or show array? Or did you have them build a custom LED array based on your own specifications?

I got the planted tank as it has a much better red spectrum which is better for your plants and makes them look better too. Look at the pic's of the planted tank bulb and the show tank and notice how different and IMO washed out the show tank plants look? That is because it has a higher blue spectrum which I don't like in planted tanks.

I got the planted tank as it has a much better red spectrum which is better for your plants and makes them look better too. Look at the pic's of the planted tank bulb and the show tank and notice how different and IMO washed out the show tank plants look? That is because it has a higher blue spectrum which I don't like in planted tanks.

Yes it's beautiful. I read that they have an array with even more reds - the 5000k planted spectrum. Did u consider that too?

I'm doing some research, but need to do more as I'm not sure how to determine the best angle for my tank.

Call and talk to them, they can help you out. I have a 30" tank so had to go with a tighter angle to get a more concentrated light to penetrate deeper. If you tank is 18" deep then the standard 90 degree angle is fine as it will give you a wider spread which you want if that is your only light.

Call and talk to them, they can help you out. I have a 30" tank so had to go with a tighter angle to get a more concentrated light to penetrate deeper. If you tank is 18" deep then the standard 90 degree angle is fine as it will give you a wider spread which you want if that is your only light.

Have you posted pics with the new light? Is it on your 220gal that you update on your Journal thread?

As u can see from my orig post, I have uncertainty on how to mount the array on my tank. Do I ditch my current hood? Can it be incorporated into my current hood?

Have you any shots of the light on your tank?

No shots of the new lights as I'm still trying to get the proper photoperiod along with the new light and CO2. I upset the balance of my tank and am having to find what my new adjustments need to be.

You can use it alone or with your current light. It all depends on how much light your looking to have. That is also why I suggested the dimmer so you have more options how to use it.

I don't have a hood on any of my tanks. The fixture has tank mount feet you can put on if you don't want to use a hood.

Back
Top Bottom