Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no on-off switch so u would have to unplug it to turn it off. U would have to leave it on constantly until ur problem is fixed probably about 3,4 days but after that just plug it in when ur lights r on. If it is water born algae it is probably because of ur lighting system. My tank was so bad I could hardly see my fish unless they were right up against the glass. I hooked up the ultraviolet light filter and after about 4 days I had crystal clear water,and it has been that way for 8 months now.

krbooker said:
There is no on-off switch so u would have to unplug it to turn it off. U would have to leave it on constantly until ur problem is fixed probably about 3,4 days but after that just plug it in when ur lights r on. If it is water born algae it is probably because of ur lighting system. My tank was so bad I could hardly see my fish unless they were right up against the glass. I hooked up the ultraviolet light filter and after about 4 days I had crystal clear water,and it has been that way for 8 months now.

Yeah thats EXACTLY my problem. Would you recommend either one of these?
http://aquatop.com/Aquarium_UV_Sterilization.html
Either the uvp-9 or the uvcp-9
Or would you recommend the Green Killing Machine?

My UV filter is made for my tank, I have a 5w Oceanic Mini UV Sterilizer which is a submersible filter for my 29 gallon Biocube. The filter emits a UVC light and is rated for water pumps up to 300 gph. You will have to figure out the flow rate for your filtration system before you buy your UV filter, because if you get a UV filter with too low of a flow rate for your filtration system it won't filter properly. Your best bet is check with a aquatic store or check on line for your flow rates and the type of UV filter that will fit your needs.

My main gripe about that solution is that you're essentially throwing money at a problem that should be fixable with good husbandry practice. Very commonly this problem is caused by lighting issues (especially if it occurs in an established tank without a recent incident of some sort), and if one algae species stops taking advantage of it, another one probably will.

That being said, a UV setup will undoubtedly fix the problem, but I generally have much better things to spend my paycheck on.

As it was said earlier in the thread this person has gotten a new lighting system which they are not willing to change so I agree it probably is a lighting problem. The lights are probably too powerful for the size of the tank, but being as they don't want to change the lights again, I am giving them a solution without a lot of guess work. No mater what solution they decided on doing it will end up costing money, how much is up to them and how fast they want the problem solved.

As it was said earlier in the thread this person has gotten a new lighting system which they are not willing to change so I agree it probably is a lighting problem. The lights are probably too powerful for the size of the tank, but being as they don't want to change the lights again, I am giving them a solution without a lot of guess work. No mater what solution they decided on doing it will end up costing money, how much is up to them and how fast they want the problem solved.

If it's a light issue, then he'll probably have BBA or some other high light algae crop up very soon after throwing $50+ on a now irrelevant problem. If he were to find a way to reduce said light, he would fix this problem and head off future ones.

Well the only other solutions would be to change the bulbs in the lighting system which will cost money and may or may not solve the problem, use a tinting film between the lights and the tank which will cost money and may or may not solve the problem, or increase the distance between the lights and the tank which costs no money but might not be an option. All and all we are just giving them some suggestions which are all good and it is up to them to decided how fast and how much money they want to spend to solve their problem.

Smh at adding salt to a planted tank not needed at all get your algae bloom under control. Fix the lighting cut back on the flake/pellets for a bit and step up your water changes. If the algae doesn't burn itself out in a few days than yes I agree with the others buy a uv sterilizer.

krbooker said:
Well the only other solutions would be to change the bulbs in the lighting system which will cost money and may or may not solve the problem, use a tinting film between the lights and the tank which will cost money and may or may not solve the problem, or increase the distance between the lights and the tank which costs no money but might not be an option. All and all we are just giving them some suggestions which are all good and it is up to them to decided how fast and how much money they want to spend to solve their problem.

I just don't get why my lighting is too much when it's not even 2W/g

Back
Top Bottom