co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep. would work just fine. To do what I'm talking about, you would simply cut the line at some point after the filter, then essentially splice it with your reactor. If you look at my 40 breeder thread, you can see the reactor I made and how its set up.

I wouldn't feel comfortable just running the co2 through the filter. May have a negative impact on the impeller, as well as building up as they do like to hold air.

img_1305817_0_35a9ca59ab27bc3d24dd8648d589b9f0.jpg

is this what you are talking about?

Page 7 shows how to build the reactor.

Page 10 shows it up and running.

Now, would it have been so hard to look through 36 pages? Lol.

EDIT: Yep, thats it on the tank. Page 7 shows how to build it.

i think that is a bigger can of worms then i want to open. Also my output on my canister is not rubber it is more plasticy and i would not be able to clamp it onto the pvc pipe. is there another option that does not involve messing with my filter tubing?

sorry i am so picky

Your hose is rubber, it just has a plastic cover on it from my understanding.

If you don't want to do that, a powerhead is the next best option IMO

I would just hook the co2 tubing up to the air intake of the powerhead right? or would this suck the yeast and stuff into the tank?

Yes, and possibly... that's why you have an empty bottle (aka gas separater) between the generator and the tank. Some people call them puke jugs.

O OK! So it would go something like this

a milk jug with the yeast and sugar and water, hooked up to an empty jug, that then hooks up to my powerhead.

exactly. you just put two holes in the lid for the second milk jug and stick the tubing in just enough to seal it. That way, if any 'pukes' out of the first jug, the second jug catches it before it goes in the tank.

that seems like something i can do! I do not have a powerhead right now, do you know of a good brand that would work for me, what size of powerhead sould i get?

I actually used a small internal filter. I don't remember the model, but it was a cascade. It had the ability to hook the air line in to it and did a great job, actually too good of a job for my 10g. I think I paid something like $12 for it. MaxiJet powerheads are good, so are aquaclears. Those are the only two I know have the ability.

also what is a good mixture to make the co2? with the internal filter did you just take any filtering media out of it or did you leave it in?

I used it as my filter actually.. did a decent job. You'd be fine either way... but I think the added filtration would be of a little benefit. As far as the mixture, I honestly can't remember. I think fort told me what to use. I've far surpassed the DIY stuff, too much work for me haha. I'm sure fort would be happy to post a good recipe.

Any power head would work.

3/4c sugar, 1/2 tsp of yeast, 1/8 tsp of baking soda is a good starting point. YMMV.

Activate the yeast first in a warm cup of water before sealing it into the bottle. It will get more of the yeast active that way, and produce more co2 and last longer.

depends what kind of yeast it is, what the ambient temperature is, what size the container is, how much water is in the container...

basically it varies. Somewhere between 6-16 days would be my guess.

Back
Top Bottom