CO2 advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmilyC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to planted tanks and need some advice on setting up CO2. I already have a tank (from beer making!) but need to get a regulator and bubble counter. Any recommendations on a go starter setup? Also, once I'm set up, how do I determine the correct flow?

Check out Aquatec of California on E-Bay. The have fair prices on Regs.
As far as flow goes, you would need a drop checker to tell roughly how much co2 concentration is in the water. You just need to watch the drop checker until you get the right color. It will take a bit to get the co2 adjusted. About any bubble counter will work. Just some are a little better quality.

I think there are people who have Milwaukee and those (like me) that have Aquatek who like them equally. I would compare them to like a Chevy versus a Ford truck, there's people who will swear by them on either side of the fence.

I personally like Aquatek because they give you a little extra with the purchase... like some airline tubing and bubble counter.
New Basic Aquatek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay

The bubble counter it comes with is inline and will work fine. However, you can upgrade it to this if you'd like:
Aquatek CO2 Brass Bubble Counter with Integrated Check Valve | eBay

I think there are people who have Milwaukee and those (like me) that have Aquatek who like them equally. I would compare them to like a Chevy versus a Ford truck, there's people who will swear by them on either side of the fence.

I personally like Aquatek because they give you a little extra with the purchase... like some airline tubing and bubble counter.
New Basic Aquatek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay

The bubble counter it comes with is inline and will work fine. However, you can upgrade it to this if you'd like:
Aquatek CO2 Brass Bubble Counter with Integrated Check Valve | eBay

Thanks for the advice!

I personally like the Aquatek better. Seems like it adjusts easier, and holds the adjustment better. I do have a Milwaukee also. It's been a good regulator.

I have a Milwaukee reg and love it so far, its fair priced and seems like it will last forever if treated right. I did just buy an aquatek PB reg though thanks to Brian always talking them up, should be here tomorrow so I should be able to give a pretty good comparison then

to each their own honestly, as far as regulators go.

I went with UP Aqua because of the price, haven't had any problems, concerns, etc. with it so far. At the same time, I've never used anything besides that to compare it with. I got it for like $85 total I think on amazon at the time.

You could basically go with any bubble counter, I got a cheap, I believe UP Aqua, one that does a good job, just your basic bubble counter with an integrated check valve.

A diffuser is something you don't want to skimp on, not sure what the better ones out there are, but you want something that will atomize/break down the bubbles really well so that it'll break down into your water faster rather than larger bubbles.

Drop checkers are great to have too. I again went the cheap route and I think got a basic aquatek one. I'd have preferred to get an all glass one just for the looks, but this does it's job well enough for now. Make sure you invest in some 4dkh solution to go with it I think you can get a 2-3oz bottle on eBay for like $8 including shipping and it'll last for a very long time. Drop checkers aren't accurate without that solution, unless you want to make your own, which becomes a PITA fast.

Basically, it all depends on your budget, if you don't want to spend a lot you can get it all for a fair price and it'll work just fine (IMO) but spending a bit more wouldn't hurt. If I were to do it again, I'd still go with everything I have but I'd go with more a more esthetically pleasing bubble counter and drop checker.
I think that's all I have to add.

Back
Top Bottom