CO2, algae, tank problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thx rex for the replies, so i still need the JBJ regulator for it but i just need to somehow buy a CGA 320 valve? and wa's a hydro test?

Any decent shop should have or be able to get a CGA 320 pretty quick. A hydro test is a method of putting an extreme amount of pressure in the tank to see if it's still good. A test is good for five years. After that it needs to be retested and then the shop that does the test will stamp the tank with the new date.

what is the use of the CGA 320? Is it because of the different design of the tank.
After getting it, i just need to buy the JBJ regulator, needle valves, diffuser, and solenoid right?

i heard a aluminum tank is better than a steel tank, can u explain that? I have a steel tank in my hand. There appears to be some chemicals in there other than CO2 how should i clean it?

i'll be on my way to a pressurized system after i'm clear of all these thank you so much you guys :D

The use of the CGA 320 valve is to screw into the threads of the cylinder and allow you to attach a regulator or other device to the cylinder. It's the standard CO2 tank valve as defined by the Compressed Gas Association here in the United States. Every standard piece of equipment that one would ever want to attach to a CO2 cylinder here in the US mates up with the threads on a CGA 320 valve.

As for what else you need, the JBJ combo will work just fine. But you will also need some type of reactor or diffuser.

If there are some sort of chemicals in the cylinder then in my advise either have it steam cleaned or don't use it. I would just get another cylinder as it sounds like the cylinder you have was not a 100% CO2 based fire extinguisher and may not be able to be used as a CO2 cylinder. If it was a chemical based extinguisher then the chances are it may not take a CGA 320 valve.

wow... i just called around my neighborhood for a 10lb CO2 tank and the lowest cost would be $90... what do u think? i think i'm better off buying it online. They told me the refills are $25. I've read refills cost $6.50 and a tank was $35. Geez

thanks alot for all the suggestions and advice rex, now i'm just on my way finding a tank before ordering the regulators and everything.

Costs vary. Call the fire extinguisher shops and see what they would charge for a cylinder. A new 10 lb cylinder runs about $100 locally at a home brew shop. But I can get a 5 lb cylinder from a fire extinguisher shop for around $40 and a 5 lb CO2 cylinder for around $50 filled.

And the cost of CO2 varies widely around the US. It higher here in Portland for some reason than most parts of the US. My 20 lb cylinder runs me about $26 for a fill and my 5 lb runs around $12.

a 5lb tank filled they charge $85. Every fire extingusher requires a CGA 320 valve right?

How about the pH shutdown machine? Is that worth it? it costs an extra $80! Sounds good though, set and forget.

Fire Extinguishers don't use a CGA 320. At least not the handheld ones. But if you want to attach a regulator to it then it needs one.

I assume you are talking about a pH monitor? You don't need one. I don't use one nor do many other people.

wow... after coming all around, i've come back to the fire extinguisher, can i just bring it to the shop for them to clean out any exisiting chemicals in there? or is there no way of ridding the chemicals clean.

thanks for following all along Rex. realli appreciate it :D

Back
Top Bottom