Co2 and PH Swing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I broke down and bought a Aquatek Mini and Paintball Tank that is set to arrive today. I have been using Citric Acid and Baking Soda as my means for get CO2 into the tank. I normally just let it run through the night w/o any issues, but obviously it consumed a lot of Co2.

So the new one comes with solenoid which I was thinking I might throw on a lamp timer, but I am concerned with the PH swings that might ensue if I did this. I have low KH ~3, so PH is normally around 6.4/5, I also stock GBR's, Angels, and Tetras. I don't want to create a lot of stress with Yo-Yo'ing PH over the night and AM. Am I really going to create problems with this, or do you guys not have any issues?

Thoughts?

No issues whatsoever. Keep in mind that without co2 injection, a change in pH always accompanies a change in KH and TDS. When pH drops due to co2, the only thing that changes is co2 concentration.

Just think.. if this was really a problem, how would anyone who injects co2 ever accomplish a large water change? No one adds co2 to the new water before a water change, so obviously the pH will be jumping up a full point or more in no more time than it takes to refill the tank. I've never seen my fish look stressed after a water change. On the contrary, they tend to color up and show spawning behavior, just like they tend to do in non-co2 tanks.

No issues whatsoever. Keep in mind that without co2 injection, a change in pH always accompanies a change in KH and TDS. When pH drops due to co2, the only thing that changes is co2 concentration.

Just think.. if this was really a problem, how would anyone who injects co2 ever accomplish a large water change? No one adds co2 to the new water before a water change, so obviously the pH will be jumping up a full point or more in no more time than it takes to refill the tank. I've never seen my fish look stressed after a water change. On the contrary, they tend to color up and show spawning behavior, just like they tend to do in non-co2 tanks.[/QUOTE/]

+1

sit in silence...

Timer on 1 hour before lightsturn on.
Off one before lights go off.
Dou you have a dc or just going to watch the pH?
1 pt swing in ph is what most shoot for if not a little more.
Move up amount carefully.
Enjoy!!

Timer on 1 hour before lightsturn on.
Off one before lights go off.
Dou you have a dc or just going to watch the pH?
1 pt swing in ph is what most shoot for if not a little more.
Move up amount carefully.
Enjoy!!

Yeah I use a drop checker, monitor kh/ph chart, and really just observe how the fish are responding. I have had it running at around 2.4-2.8bps on a 36G, drop checker is more yellow than green (when I am at 2.8bps, tend to back this off a little at night), but fish look well while at or between these levels.

Yeah, you're right about the WC aspect, I guess I looked at it as. You really only do a big WC change once a week or so. I was worried about that swing on a daily/nightly basis. But I guess its not too much to be concerned about.

From what I understand, the pH shock is more of a result of osmotic stress, i.e. stress being places on the body by a sudden drop or increase in the dissolved minerals (likely TDS) in the water without the fish being able to adjust to it. pH is really just a quick look at the contents of the water.

There has been no evidence that I have seen of pH shift from Co2 causing damage to fish. Co2 is not a change in the dissolved minerals, but rather just a form of dissolved acid.

That's a horrible explanation to it.. but yeah. I can't think of a better way to put it.

I guess to summarize it we could say: Low pH because of co2 does not equal low ph because of kH.

From what I understand, the pH shock is more of a result of osmotic stress, i.e. stress being places on the body by a sudden drop or increase in the dissolved minerals (likely TDS) in the water without the fish being able to adjust to it. pH is really just a quick look at the contents of the water.

There has been no evidence that I have seen of pH shift from Co2 causing damage to fish. Co2 is not a change in the dissolved minerals, but rather just a form of dissolved acid.

That's a horrible explanation to it.. but yeah. I can't think of a better way to put it.

I guess to summarize it we could say: Low pH because of co2 does not equal low ph because of kH.

That makes sense Mebbid, Co2 is an acid so it would not affect the TDS. Whereas a WC would decrease or increase (in some cases) the TDS. Which then the fishes body would have to learn/adapt to process the increase or decrease of the minerals in the water.

Feel much better about all this now! Thanks guys!

As usual,Mebbid you do not disappoint...

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom