Co2 diffuser for diy setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketravis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I am currently running just a small poris airstone that seams to be doin a good job but they seam to be breaking already went through 2 trying to clean the yeast gunk off. Just wonderimg if anyone has experience using the ladder or the glass micro diffuser I also am lookin at the fluval diffusers. Again this is for diy co2 so ovously the amount of pressure can be and issue if there is a build up. So whats the best diffuser for a diy?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually just added a evolve 8 gal to the collection for a shrimp tank. Anyway, I put diy co2 line into the pump so the impeller pulls the co2 bubble thru it and out into tank. It was super easy as well. On my return pump, on the front is a flow control. Right behind it is the impeller. All i did was drill a hole the same size as i did for tube going into co2 bottle. Right in that control cover and put tube in. Basically turn that pump into co2 chopped. I'll get some pictures after work 2mrw. To help you. Not sure you have the same pump. But you will get the.ide

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so like up you exsiting filter intake?... cuz my room mate is already unhappy with the electric bill and I dont wish to add another filter haha.

Pictures would be great

I recently purchased a Fluval ceramic diffuser from amazon for about $5. It works well. With DYI it may take a while to get it going. If you have leaks in the system then it may not generate enough pressure to operate the ceramic diffuser.

With DYI CO2 you want to make sure you use a gas separater between the CO2 generator and tank (basically an airtight container filled with fluid). It will catch any stray yeast and serve as a bubble counter. Also, the use of one way valves will keep the system/diffuser pressurized and prevent any reverse siphoning. Do not keep the water level too high in the CO2 generator and bubble counters.

You don't want yeast to get into the airlines if possible and definitely not in the tank. It will clog a diffuser. I recently did a clean out by changing most of the tubing and flushing the remaining tubing and one way valves with hydrogen peroxide.

76ge7Cq.jpg

I use a nano diffusser I bought off ebay for like $3. Its on a DIY CO2 system and produces tiny bubbles which my powerhead moves all over the tank. Way better than an air stone. Never used a ladder though.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Up until the day before I was feeding it into the filter intake. Aside from the gurgling I think it was working okay. I just wanted to see if I could make the ceramic diffusers work. The diffuser puts out hundreds of micro bubbles.

Ok very cool im thinking of changeing from the 2l bottle and water bottle I have now to 2 gartoraid bottles one for the mix and the other for bubble counter/ stopper of yeast. And I do have the check valve as well. But definatly would want do do a better job sealing for more pressure.

I use a apple juice bottle as the reactor and a 20 oz gatoraid for the bubble counter/overflow. When redoing you bottles drill holes in the caps that are pretty small and have a hard time getting the airline tubing in. Make for a air tight seal, no sealants needed.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I gpt the glue might as well use it. But no drill I just used scissors to the same effect as a drill till I get the desired size last setup has no leaks so im sure it will be fine. Just the 2l does not fit in my stand drawer.

I recently switched from a pair of 2L to a pair of 1L bottles to save space in the cabinet. Each bottle goes to a check valve and the into a "T" which goes into the bubble counter. Having two check valves helps keep the system pressurized. I can remove 1 bottle (leaving the check valve in place) for maintenance without having CO2 leak out.
As long as the hole is smaller than the tubing then you should be fine. I found that cutting the tubing at an angle makes it easier to thread threw the hole. Followed by pliers to pull it through. Silicone tubing is easier to work with and over time will not harden and crack like regular clear plastic/vinyl tubing.

Ok so I am currently running just a small poris airstone that seams to be doin a good job but they seam to be breaking already went through 2 trying to clean the yeast gunk off. Just wonderimg if anyone has experience using the ladder or the glass micro diffuser I also am lookin at the fluval diffusers. Again this is for diy co2 so ovously the amount of pressure can be and issue if there is a build up. So whats the best diffuser for a diy?

Thanks!

I use a cigarette filter and it produces almost micro bubbles for about two weeks. You can buy a box of cigarette tubes 200 count for around 2 $

Really would love to see a picture. Do you just use suction cups to keep it in place? And how hard are they to replace?

Really would love to see a picture. Do you just use suction cups to keep it in place? And how hard are they to replace?

This app dont let me do pictures any more. But i take a cig filter and cut to 1/2 inch and then tear the outer part of filter off but not to much. Just enough so you can get it pretty tight in your co2 airline at the end. Then place either under your fish filter suction cupped or however is easiest for you. When putting cig filter in airline tube you will have to twist it in tight and make sure you leave just a little to pull out for replacement. I have a small internal filter for extra flow and filtration that i put my co2 under to be sucked up and spit through the tank. Between the cig filter and internal fiter breaking bubbles even finer you can barely see the little micro bubbles and i use heavy co2. You may be able to look for some of my older posts and find pictures of my concept.

What about just some cotton balls?

What about just some cotton balls?

Never tried but i would think its the same thing. Just make sure its i tight fit to get finer bubbles. Let me know the progress. Might try myself to see difference.

Once I get off ill set it up and let you know how its works. I have a big thing of cotton balls at the house

nytypa6u.jpg

Not bad. How long is the cotton ball. Filters are half inch and just a little bit sticking out. Your bubbles look pretty fine but maybe longer cotton or tighter fit will make even better.

Back
Top Bottom