Pressurized CO2 issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DC634

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,

I am having an issue with my new co2 system. I have had pressurized co2 systems for a while now and never had this issue. I recently bought a new set up for a new tank. My issue is no matter how high I have the needle valve turned up I get the same bps. The issue only happens when I have a my inline bubble counter installed and have everything else hooked up. WHen I don't have it hooked up then I can push all the co2 I want (based on observation of the diffuser). But when I put in the bubble counter to accurately measure how much I am pumping I only get about 1 bps regardless how high I have the needle valve. When I unscrew the top part of the bubble counter then the system shoots up a sh*t ton of bubbles. So based on that I thought it was the top of the bubble counter but when I inspect it nothing seems to be wrong, it not clogged or anything. And what is weird is that when I disconnected the diffuser from the system and put the end of the hose in the water I get alot of bubbles.

So in short it seems that I can only have one or the other but not both and I cannot figure out why. Has anyone had this problem before and was able to diagnose it? I have sprayed soapy water on the whole system and to check for leaks but there was none. Any advise or help would be great.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

I am having an issue with my new co2 system. I have had pressurized co2 systems for a while now and never had this issue. I recently bought a new set up for a new tank. My issue is no matter how high I have the needle valve turned up I get the same bps. The issue only happens when I have a my inline bubble counter installed and have everything else hooked up. WHen I don't have it hooked up then I can push all the co2 I want (based on observation of the diffuser). But when I put in the bubble counter to accurately measure how much I am pumping I only get about 1 bps regardless how high I have the needle valve. When I unscrew the top part of the bubble counter then the system shoots up a sh*t ton of bubbles. So based on that I thought it was the top of the bubble counter but when I inspect it nothing seems to be wrong, it not clogged or anything. And what is weird is that when I disconnected the diffuser from the system and put the end of the hose in the water I get alot of bubbles.

So in short it seems that I can only have one or the other but not both and I cannot figure out why. Has anyone had this problem before and was able to diagnose it? I have sprayed soapy water on the whole system and to check for leaks but there was none. Any advise or help would be great.

Thanks

Most bubble counters have a non return valve built in so you have to have them the correct way around.

The other thing is, after you mess with the line you need to prime the line with co2 again. It can take a while before you get the air out and overcome the back pressure of the diffuser. This means the bubble rate goes slow at first then starts going nuts once the co2 is free flowing through the diffuser.

I have it the correct way, I guess I will wait and see if it sorts itself out with the back pressure. Thanks

So it has been a few days now and still nothing has changed as far as how many bps I can get.

Wonder if your bubble counter was just a faulty one? Would you have another to try? I haven’t used them with my setup.

No I do not. But the funny thing is if I disconnect the tubbing just above the bubble counter (bubble counter still on) than it works just fine. Or if I take the bubble counter off then it works just fine.

Not sure to be honest. Can you get some soapy water around all the connections and check for bubbles that would indicate a leak?

Back
Top Bottom