CO2 diffusion methods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
has anyone used a small internal filter to diffuse a DIY CO2? ive seen a few videos of that and it looks like it could work well. they just attached the co2 line from the bottles into the air tube intake and turned it on, and it chopped up the bubbles into a fine mist.

That would work. A power head would also work. As well as running it through a canister intake if you have one.

It is a very effective method of co2 diffusion. Just be aware that it could cause your water clarity to suffer as the fine bubbles it will produce have a tendency to get stuck in the water column. Really good for plants... bad for water clarity.

In a tank that small,a wooden air stone would be a easy way to diffuse CO2.And would it would not take up the space like a power head or internal filter will.

allright, well i do have a 26 gal, would a smal internal filter or powerhead work well there? i can hide one quite well in that tank?

I agree with Roscoe about using a nano glass diffuser in a tank that small... good method to use.

Using a powerhead is a GREAT method for diffusing CO2. It is usually referred to as "misting". I tried it for a time with excellent results as far as plant health. What I mean though about the bubbles is that the powerhead really chops up the co2 into a fine mist, and those bubbles are so small that they don't float straight to the surface (since the powerhead is blowing them outwards). What happens is these bubbles, being so small, will get trapped in the water (like if you quickly poor a bunch of water into the tank, you will have a bunch of tiny microbubbles for a time). It is great for the plants. It ensures near complete diffusion of the CO2, and some of it even gets trapped under plant leaves as a side benefit, resulting in direct diffusion into the plants. Like I said, it worked great in my tank... but I got sick of the water clarity suffering from all the tiny microbubbles in the water column, so I stopped doing it and moved back to using glass diffusers. The bubbles are the same size coming out, but since they aren't being blown outwards in a turbid stream, they tend to float straight up, and thus don't hang out in the water column. Less diffusion, but also less annoying bubbles floating around :).

Does that make sense?

yes very good sense :) thanks, i will give the glass diffuser and internal filter or powerhead a try and see which i like better, i dont have any plants yet, well there in a different tank for now, so i want to have it plant-ready for when i move them.

A powerhead or internal filter would work fine in either tank. I was just giving a suggestion that could keep some equipment out of your tank. I like to have as little as possible in mine. Except for fish,plants, and driftwood :)

Back
Top Bottom