Co2 for dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I must be really dumb, I understand why it's needed, but can't get my head around a diy one. So, if I bought a commercial one, what do you think would be the best? I have a 240 litre tank. I would appreciate your views...

The pro for the DIY setup is that it is relatively inexpensive.
The con is that it doesn't offer as much co2 or at a rate that is as consistent as the higher tech systems.

IMO you should go with a paintball C02 tank (available at most sporting goods stores and Walmart) connected to an Aquatek Mini Regulator which comes with the solenoid. Cheapest starter option.

Hi, thanks for the info, just wondering, is there any plants that add co2? I've had a look at some of the complete kits, can't believe the cost, might have to go with the sugar, bicarbonate and yeast lol

Plants give off C02 when dark and take in oxygen. When light out the reverse takes place.

DIY C02 is definitely the most cost effective option although typically only workable for a small tank. It would be a good place to start.

I have been looking at the aquatek mini regulator and the paintball canister myself. Can anyone tell me about how often you have to refill the canister. My tank that I am looking at it for is a 90g.

On a tank that size assuming you have a 20 oz tank I would guess every 2 weeks or maybe less. On a 30 gal tank I run one every 6 weeks.

I have mine hooked up to a 20 long and I would say it lasts about 8 weeks. Since you'll go through them faster, maybe get 2 paintball canisters that way you can just rotate them.
For a 90 gallon tank though, I think it would cost less in the long run (when you factor in the cost and hassle of frequent refills) if you got a 5lb or 10lb canister and a normal regulator. It will be more pricey up front, but in the long haul I think you'll be happier. Its up to you though.

IMO you should go with a paintball C02 tank (available at most sporting goods stores and Walmart) connected to an Aquatek Mini Regulator which comes with the solenoid. Cheapest starter option.

What's the total price for everything?

Back
Top Bottom