CO2 Systems Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bottom feeder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gal planted tank w/ standard fluorescent lighting (but lots of it - 5 bulbs). I've been using two ladder type CO2 systems (bubbles generated from yeast & sugar travel up ladder and diffuse into tank water).

First, I'd like to know if a CO2 reactor (Red Sea model 500) which disburses CO2 into the tank, can be hooked up to my low-tech CO2 system(s), or whether the device is to be used exclusively with a CO2 injection system.

Second, I would like to know if anyone has advice on CO2 systems. I'm not sure I want to go with an expensive injection system because of the price as well as the increase in maintenance and monitoring of ph, etc. I've also been using Seachem Flourish Excel for about 2 weeks. I've seen a couple other low-tech CO2 systems and wonder if I should change mine. Also, my ph is rather low (below 6.5) My plants are growing slowly, but since I've been fertilizing much more frequently with macronutrients and Flourish, there has been an increase in growth. But I'm still battling beard algae on most of my anubias and it drives me crazy. Nitrates and nitrites in tank are very low. Filter is Marineland canister 220 with 2 aquaclear hanging filters.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
JRP

Welcome to AA!

I've heard of people using those powered CO2 reactors on yeast systems, but have no experience. I use that one you mentioned and love it, but on my pressurized system.

I can say that if you invest the money (it can be done for around $175) that you will not regret it. You'll be able to achieve better CO2 levels in your tank, it will be completely stable, and once you get it set, there is no maintenance. I check my tank once every few weeks to make sure it hasn't run out or is getting low. It takes a week or two to get it set where you want it, but after that it's just periodic checks for tank level.

Santa's coming to town, ya know...

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression I would need to spend $350 or more for a decent injection system. Perhaps I need to do some research and not look to the retail stores as a pricing guide. Also was under the impression that I would need to upgrade lighting. I do have a dual 55 watt compact fluorescent that was just too much and I went back to standard T8 tubes (I had LOTS of algae issues). Do you think it would be necessary to upgrad to HO fluorescents or does compact fluorescent do the trick? Right now I have 5 different standard fluorescents precariously balaced on top of the tank.

An all-in-one CO2 regulator can be obtained online for around 80 bucks(regulator/selonoid/bubble counter). The 500 reator I think is around 35 bucks. You would also need a 5 or 10 CO2 bottle (I got my 10 pound one for 80). That under 200 right there.

I have to second going with the pressurized setup. My tanks go for 10 months without me messing with the CO2. The key to avoiding the dreaded brush algae is keeping the CO2 up and consistent.

You can add CO2 with any light level. Having 5 T-8's will be fine and so would the CF fixture.

Oh and yes, you can use that reator with the DIY yeast type CO2.

I got my regulator, bubble counter, needle valve and solenoid setup on Ebay for $86 shipped. Search for Milwaukee MA957 (that's the one I used)

Like R said, you can go with CO2 at any lighting level. Then, later on if you decide you want to upgrade your lighting, you can without having to worry at that point.

if the red sea 500 has built in check valve you might not get enough pressure too open it from diy co2 i did use the 200 on my diy worked good

CO2 Advice

Many thanks for all the advice I received. Looks like I'm going to begin searching for reasonably priced CO2 injection system for my most recent must have items.

This is a bulk of what you need. Add a tank, a diffuser and some airline, and you're all set.

This is the only unit I have experience with, but it's operated flawlessly for me for 2 years.

This is a bulk of what you need. Add a tank, a diffuser and some airline, and you're all set.

This is the only unit I have experience with, but it's operated flawlessly for me for 2 years.

If you are going to buy from ebay and you have paypal account, using Live Search, search for "Milwaukee MA957" will show up the ebay site. you click on that and finish your order, you will get 30% cashback... :)...

CO2 Advice

My sincere thanks for sharing your knowledge. You have truly saved me time and money, not to mention peace of mind I'm getting sound advice. Thanks again.

CO2 Advice - PH meter

Neilanh, I notice you did not mention PH controller. I have no experience w/ injectable CO2 systems, I don't have any idea how necessary a PH controller is. I like the notion of less monitoring, and I do have fish in the tank, but at over $100 for one of these, I hesitate. Any thoughts?

I'm pressurized in all of my tanks, and none of them have a PH controller.

You can find your CO2 levels with an inexpensive drop checker - again, hit Ebay for them. It is just a little inverted glass tube/bubble thing that holds a control colution, and turns colors as CO2 levels rise.

My CO2 is timed - comes on 30 minutes before the lights come on, turns off 30 minutes before the lights go off.

I use a drop checker to get some decent levels - this is the first week or two of tinkering that Neilanh mentions - and note my bubble rate. From then on, the tank is just going, at that bubble rate, and it is a no maintainance system at that point.

Back
Top Bottom