Co2 time? Constant or intermittent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelius1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I've recently started a Co2 aquascape and was just wondering does the co2 have to go constantly? Also I have a normal airstone in the middle of the tank, should I leave this going all the time too? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416535979.143687.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you doing DIY CO2 or pressurized?

I run an air stone in my 29 gal woth diy co2 so my fish don't die over night when the plants and the diy are adding co2 into the tank.

If you run the air stone when the lights are on it increases surface disturbance, and the co2 yoy are adding escapes faster than without the air stone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm running pressurised co2 just when the lights on with a 100% efficient diffuser...you reckon just run the air stone at night when the co2 is off?

Thats what I would do. Some say don't run an air stone at a, but rather safe than sorry imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my opinion and from what I've learnt from others is that. It is ok for co2 to be on constantly. Pressurized you have much more control anyway over the co2 levels.

In my opinion and from what I've learnt from others is that. It is ok for co2 to be on constantly. Pressurized you have much more control anyway over the co2 levels.

At lower levels, yes.. 1 bubble per second would.probably be fine.. not 4 bps 24/7 though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah my tank is 400litres and I run 1.5 bubbles per second....maybe I'll shut it off at night and put it up to 2 2/2.5 bubbles per second during the day...

Thanks heaps everyone! :)

Get a drop checker (or a couple with the size of that tank) to let you know how much CO2 is in the water and for adjusting the bubble count. You should see it fluctuate during the course of the day/night. It would be interesting if you could maintain it at green 24/7. Mine goes blue overnight and changes to green during the day.

Yeah I would get a drop checker as well. I usually don't risk running the co2 24/7 because you never know what may fluctuate. I would hate to wake up to a tank full of gassed fish. Don't run the airstones at the same time as the co2. The air will just dilute the co2. I would shut off the co2 an hour before the lights go off. Give the plants some time to absorb the rest of the co2 before the lights go out.

Sent with my fingers

Also my bubble counter and my actual diffuser is showing two different bubble rates... The tank diffuser is a bit slower like a second slower....what's the true rate?

So you have a bubbler counter in the diffuser? I have that too in one tank,.like a mini reactor but not really.. mine is also slower than the bubble counter, i believe it's due to leakage within the tank from the diffuser if that makes sense..

Oh ok so there is actually more going in than the diffuser is really showing...the bubble counter on the reg is true?

Oh ok so there is actually more going in than the diffuser is really showing...the bubble counter on the reg is true?

Yes!

Also because your really helpful I've put a drop checker in on the opposite side of my tank...it is a 6ft tank I'm running 1.5 drops per second how long should it take for the blue to change to green in the drop checker? A couple of hours? Days? It's been in there an hour but still blue...

It may take several hours to change color. It depends on the volume, bps, diffuser method, circulation, surface agitation, etc. In my 20g long, it starts out blue each day and takes at least a few hours to change to green.

Also.. 1.5bps is pretty low in general.. for a 6 ft tank?? I'm no expert but I'd think you'll need to hit 5 bps to make any noticeable difference in the dc??

Hahah.. easy though, gradual is key..

Back
Top Bottom