Colorado Native Planted Tank Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedohio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to create a planted tank that reflects the ecosystem of the rivers around the front range of Colorado. I do not want the tank any bigger than 25 gallons and am not sure if this is possible.

Are there any fish that I would be able to put in a tank in this range? Also, if I live around the area am I able to collect resources such as substrate and plants from rivers? What about fish?

Welcome to the group!

A long time ago my kids captured minnows and a couple crayfish from our local pond, gutters near the shopping center and we made a native style tank.

There is a bunch of locally found plants in ponds which might not necessarily be "native" though.

You can check with local fish supply shops for local bait fish or check around for local type fish other hobbyists might breed.

Stay out of state and national parks for collecting. Check in with the department of fish and game to see what local fish are and if you can collect them.

<Mostly the rules seem to be catch for bait but not for keeping at home. So the hobbyist route might be a safer route.

Most of the wild caught fish would be needing live foods and a larger tank since they are used to swimming in larger areas and could have parasites.

Hello plant...

Here in northern Colo you can collect from the local streams and pond areas. These are public areas. Stay out of private property areas that are posted. I've collected in these areas in the past, but my luck has been minimal. The problem being, it's very difficult to duplicate the environment of the area where you collect. It's been my experience that the local plants and fish have a very short lifespan in a fish tank.

B

I am an avid fly fisherman on the front range and from what I've observed most truly native fish species have been all but eliminated here in Colorado. Greenback cutthroats are our only native species of trout (and are federally protected) and it seems like creek chubs and sculpin are the only smaller fish found in decent numbers in the creeks and rivers around here. Our native species of suckers and whitefish are also unsuitable to an aquarium environment. None of the introduced trout species like browns, brooks, or rainbows are really suitable for long term aquarium housing due to their large full size and high oxygen requirements. Something like bluegill and other sunfish with some locally collected warm water plants could be a lot of fun though and much easier to procure and keep alive.

Back
Top Bottom