contact time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why are all three going to the spounge.. I thought that the yeast brew was normaly plumed into the venturi intake, a good place for a check valve, of the pump and then plumed into the sponge?

10 litres of brew creates quite a stream of gas, and the reactor volume is quite small. I thought I could avoid gas build up if I provided a way to let it keep circulating and mixing. It only really comes into play when I give the bottles a bit of a shake.

I dont think your suppose to shake the bottles once they are already up and going..
How big is the tank and how big is the powerhead.. maybe the reactor isnt big enough?

The shaking of the bottle thing is abit of a contested point. Some say it benfits others say it doesnt. I have no problems getting 10 days of good supply and I do. The main reason is that it lets me know if it is still producing gas. Is it true that O2 can be used by yeast culture in the same way sugar is? On the pressure sprayers, I will give them an occasional pump to mix some air theough the brew. The co2 still gets mixed into the water so there is no harm in doing this even if there is no benefit to the brew. My tank is 90gal (I know, I know) and the rector is to small, but as I have mentioned in previous posts, no bubbles escape it so is this a problem? The levels are just shy of what I want so more re-modeling will be required...I will make this work, even if it sends me loco :twisted:

holy cow.. I forgot about this project... It seems its working to a great extent at least!
Nice! how big are the garden sprayers and how much brew do you mix up for them?

Shaking the bottle isn't contested...you shouldn't do it. If you had a line blockage and shook the bottle, it would explode. yes, explode. yes I've seen it happen, to myself...very unpleasant.

I started with two 3ltr sprayers and have since added two soda bottles. I dont want to add anymore bottles because it gets to hard to maintain . Im happy to use rough measurements of 3-3.5 cups of sugar.(I have been experimenting with different grades of sugar and I reckon there is a difference from say granulated compared to caster sugar. I just havent worked out which one is better! Any ideas?) a flat teaspoon of regular bakers yeast, a pinch of bi-carb sometimes(my local tap water is at 6.7) and prepare it as sterile but as quickly as possible.

I would stay with two generators.. if the 3ltr ones are not cutting it I would just get bigger ones.. That would cut down on maintanace and help keep you from going
loco :twisted:
What goes into a good mix is not something I could help you on but I think the trick on such a big tank is having a larger amount of mix in larger generators..
That and having a reactor thats effecient enough to disolve the CO2 youll be getting..

well every now and then i swish my bottle around because most of the stuff gets stuck on the bottom

it would explode. yes, explode. yes I've seen it happen, to myself... very unpleasant.

What caused the blockage and where? Did you have a pressure relief valve on your system? I put one per bottle. I have even gone to the extent of using pressure sprayers as generators just incase. Im in no danger of an explosion....

My reactor is the problem. I basically have a "forced" bell instead of a reactor. I Might try to build an out-of-tank job! Any ideas on what to adapt?

PVC.. if its out of the tank.... I would use a screw on fitting on one side for maintainace and such.. your CO2 should go in the middle of the reactor with a good airstone ie fine bubbles. and fill it with bio-balls to help break up the gas.. Im guessing your going to put it inline with a canister filter right.. the output would be best if so.. to keep the reactor clean..

ive read that you need at least 2 cycles per hour for good distribution of the CO2.. that might be just enough... but it would have to be in the tank or in a sump since your using a power head..

I was wondering about that! Yeah, its just shy of two cycles an hour but I think its fine. Do you mean the reactor needs to be in the tank when using a power head? I was thinking of running hose from the outlet of the pump, out of the tank into the reactor, then more tube bringing it back. Would this not work? I only went for the in-tank reactor because it was easier to build, but now I have decided to get a bigger reactor, I want to move it out of sight.

Back
Top Bottom