Cooling planted aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it just occurred to me as I am setting up my aquarium that my lighting isn't nearly as powerful as what I had for my reef aquarium (halide with T5's). I am using 2 X 95 watt VHO's. I have this vent fan I used to use and began adding it as part of my set up (A bit complicated) but am wondering if I actually need it? I keep my home at about 76-77 degrees all day... do you guys (who have soething close to my lighting set up and have a typical wooden canopy) use anything to cool your tank?

The general rule is to let a heater heat the tank and try not to let the lights heat it. So rather than cool the tank itself, try cooling the lights more. A fan is the simplest way to cool the lights. Then they don't add as much heat to the tank.

Colling a tank

for emergencies and very hot summer days, I allways have a few water bottles sitting in the freezer that I can drop into the tank, and then re-freese and re-use

I have 2x96 watt PCs over my 55, they are in an open-backed canopy, and the canopy is also open on the top (no glass, just the reflectors). The lights themselves are quite warm but I have not had problems with them heating the tank up much; the tank goes up about 1-2 degrees over the course of the day when the lights are on but that's it.

Jerman i would be carefull dropping frozen bottels into the tank. That drastic of a temp change could stress out your fish really easily.

I have a fan to pull heat out of my enclosed canopy, which has 4x65w PCs in it. Generally, the temp at night is ~79, and during the day it may get to 81-82. My fish have not shown any signs of stress from this. My fan is on a variable voltage AC to DC inverter, and it is on the lowest setting that gets the fan to turn (and it is loud!). When I turn that fan up, it is like a vacuum cleaner. No more lights heating the tank!

Back
Top Bottom