Cut and split my plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K69ace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I recently cut my very talk plants into smaller chunks and spread them around my tank.

They each got their own NPOD with substrate around the roots. My tank is gravel mostly. Didn't learn about substrate until after it was set up and starting to cycle. Didn't want to change it before it was set.
Here us my before and after. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407700379.530074.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407700393.657765.jpg

What do you think?
30 gallon tall. 5 weeks in. Heater, aqueon filter with purigen. Two led colorfast and one led daylight. Regularly tested and for the first three weeks PWC 50% each day.
Two angels, 1 pearl gourami, 1 sunset gourami, 5 cherry barbs, 2 cory, 1 rainbow shark, a pair of fancy guppies, 5 cardinal tetra and 1neon.

I want to know if I should do anything other than liquid plant food?

Trudging the road to happy ... Aquarium Advice

Hey guys. I recently cut my very talk plants into smaller chunks and spread them around my tank.

They each got their own NPOD with substrate around the roots. My tank is gravel mostly. Didn't learn about substrate until after it was set up and starting to cycle. Didn't want to change it before it was set.
Here us my before and after. View attachment 246249View attachment 246250

What do you think?
30 gallon tall. 5 weeks in. Heater, aqueon filter with purigen. Two led colorfast and one led daylight. Regularly tested and for the first three weeks PWC 50% each day.
Two angels, 1 pearl gourami, 1 sunset gourami, 5 cherry barbs, 2 cory, 1 rainbow shark, a pair of fancy guppies, 5 cardinal tetra and 1neon.

I want to know if I should do anything other than liquid plant food?

1. Rainbow shark needs to go. They grow too big and aggressive for that tank.

2. I'm guessing you'll have issues with 2 angels and 2 gouramis in one tank. 4 semi aggressive top dwellers in one 30 gallon won't end well IMO. You should return one gourami and one angel, as well as the shark.

3. Your plants should be fine with just Seachem flourish and Seachem excel, but its hard to know without knowing your light levels.

4. I would also say that you have a lot of fish in there, or at least many that have high bioloads and maximum sizes. Removing the shark, 1 angel, and 1 gourami would help you with this. I also think you should choose between guppies and cories, because the cories prefer to be in schools of 4+. Since you already have some top dwellers, trading away the guppies for more cories would be a good option, but not necessary if you keep up with water changes.

Sorry to say but that light is leaving you at the lowest of low light, I had one, just actually gave it to my gf ' s sister..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is a better set of lights? LED is not good?

LED is very good, if it's made for planted tanks.

A finnex fugeray would give you very low light, a finnex fugeray planted+ would give you a bit higher than that, and a finnex ray 2 would give you solid low light, almost medium range. A tank that tall is really hard to get to anything above low light. A build my led light would get you medium light probably.

Flourish comp and excel is not enough. Your missing all macro nutrient, npk....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Flourish comp and excel is not enough. Your missing all macro nutrient, npk....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly in very low light the OP would be fine. Anything more and yes, a product like API leaf zone would be beneficial but only if they show signs of deficiencies.

What is a better set of lights? LED is not good?

For your tank? A finnex would do nicely, if you're wanting to spend a bit more cash and like customizable light settings and other little bells and whistles? 2 current satellite plus or an exotic e series.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom