Cyanobacteria...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mordachai

Aquarium Advice Regular
Rivercats mentioned that he thought there was cyanobacteria present in one of hte photos of my tank, here.

I wasn't sure at first, but now I agree - that was / is cyanobacteria.

Since then, It hasn't grown much. But there are little colonies distributed around the tank, and they're growing. I just threw out a few plants with colonies on them.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make the tank inhospitable to cyanobacteria.

From what I've read, it mostly likes too much phosphor (which I've never measured before), lots of light, and high nitrates.

I have high nitrates, medium lighting, and ??? phosphors.

I'm thinking of adding CO2 to the tank.
I've heard that HO (hydrogen peroxide in low concentrations can be injected directly on the colonies to help kill them off).
I've heard restricting light can help, but cyanobacteria is super-resiliant.
Rivercats suggested using an antibacterial solution, but my understand is that this will kill the BB as well, and I don't have a second tank to recycle the BB from (though I understand I could possibly put the media in a bag with water and refrigerate it, and probably they would survive and cycle quickly when thawed & reintroduced).

Other ideas? Suggestion as to which of the above is best?

The patches (colonies) are quite small now - like a grain of sand or less. But they're visible most places if you really look hard, and I suspect that they'll continue to grow if the conditions remain favorable to them.

Thanks for any help you might have to offer!:fish1::eek:

Back
Top Bottom