dandruff......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to do my weekly tank cleaning and I took out the filter pad and I noticed theres a lot of white flakes over the filter pad . I didnt think much of it and cleaned the pad out and I put it back into the filter canister .

Well today I get home from work and I noticed theres white flakes all over my plants .

It looks like " dandruff " does anyone have any clue as to what this stuff is ?

i also have fish in the tank....

The white stuff is mineral deposits from your water as it evaporates. Calcium mainly but whatever goodies you have in your water. The "harder" the water the worse it will be. For removal vacuum out with what ever water changing device you use. You can leave it and buy some distilled water or reverse osmosis water and use it for the next couple water changes and it should slowly redissolve. About the only way to reduce this is use limit evaporation and use a different water source if you want. Also if you do water top offs between water changes use distilled or RO water.

Lepomis said:
The white stuff is mineral deposits from your water as it evaporates. Calcium mainly but whatever goodies you have in your water. The "harder" the water the worse it will be. For removal vacuum out with what ever water changing device you use. You can leave it and buy some distilled water or reverse osmosis water and use it for the next couple water changes and it should slowly redissolve. About the only way to reduce this is use limit evaporation and use a different water source if you want. Also if you do water top offs between water changes use distilled or RO water.

but this white flaky stuff .. is that a good sign or a bad sign for the tank conditions ?? fortuanly i dont have to do water top offs ... now b4 i bought the glass canopy i would to do top offs all the time ..

Back
Top Bottom