Diffusing CO2 thru Cannister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caribou

Aquarium Advice Freak
:?: I'm just about ready to fire up a new pressurized CO2 system. I could use the glass diffuser included with my system but would like to keep as much stuff out of my tank as possible. Whats the best way to diffuse my CO2 thru the out-take of my Eheim 2217? I need plumbing details. Also, what should be the proper pressure settings on my regulator? Thanks for any input!!

Injecting it into the output or return line wont do much in the way of difusing. Also, the impellor in those canisters are in the top so they will tend to build up with CO2 and airlock (happens when the impellor is no longer pumping water because it is turning inside a large bubble). May I suggest that you build this unit. http://www.hoftiezer.net/personal/aquaria/ click on "construction" and then on "co2 reactors" Very very efficient and easy and cheap to boot! It goes inline with the return hose. Also, you don't have to use the bio-balls. I used one of those shower poof things bought new and took the little rope off. Just stuff it into the bottom part of the pipe.

Shower proof things? What things are those? Am interested in bio ball alternatives and this sounds cheaper :)

Shower poof...you know, those little weird fabric things that you use with bodywash so it lathers up.
Typically on sale for 99 cents at a WalMart down one of the beauty isles.

The only effective way to inject on the output side is to install an inline reactor, either a DIY one, or something like the AquaMedic 1000.

ooooooooooooooooooooh. One of those! (smacking forehead sound)
I've been reading up on DIY reactors, for inline install, and wondered about bio-balls when ran across this thread.

Thanks for the clarification!

I am running mine just as Simpte suggested, so far I have had no problems with gas bubbles. I have had it that way for several months.

I probably wouldn't suggest going directly into the intake of of a Filstar canister. they already have an issue with building up oxygen in the top of the canister as it outgasses inside the filter. Over the course of a day I gain about a half inch or more of trapped air in my XP3, which decreases overnight (because O2 saturation is gone so the trapped gas gets dissolved back into the water.

I'd skip the canister as your diffuser and build your own. For around $15 you can build a hoftiezer style reactor and never have to worry about air locking your canister. Very easy to plumb in-line on your canister output. I know several folks are using canisters to inject CO2 with no air locking issues, but I personally don't want to risk a $300 filter. :)

right now i am using a hot magnum as a diffuser, but am thinking of setting something up on my filstar. just not sure if i should or not, as i already have a uv sterilizer inline on it. was actually thinking more of the gravel vac tube method to do this.

What about a powerhead in reverse mode with sponge? Could a CO2 input be put where the air hose would be put on for the bubbler and run in reverse mode and output through the sponge?

Back
Top Bottom