Dirt substrate capped with sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILikeFishesALot36

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So after tons of research, it seems that sand will not be good enough for growing plants like amazon sword and other root feeders. So instead of supplementing with root tabs, can I use dirt? Like, .5-1 inch layer of dirt and 1-2 inches of play sand. Will this be ok? Please don't suggest capping it with gravel because I plan on moving most of my MTS there , and I plan on having cories.

You certainly can use dirt... I do in 3 of my tanks. But, you'll still need root tabs... so if that's the reason you're wanting it, I'd re-think it. I've kept swords in regular old PFS and they grew just as well as the ones in my dirt tanks.

My dirt tanks are just a layer of miracle gro organic choice with pfs on top... about 1-1.5" each. MGOC does cause a big algae bloom for the first 2 months or so until it mineralizes, so if you want to avoid that, mineralized top soil (MTS) is a good option.... though a little more expensive.

Yeah, just make sure to mineralize the soil before you put it in. or you can just put it in and go through algae blooms & maybe ammonia spikes. However much work you want to do lol.

Basically the soil is exposed to oxygen when moist, creating bio minerals that that are available for the plants. It's a process for the soil.

Here's a great article from a site I like to research from a lot - Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Mineralized Soil Substrate

The 4th paragraph tells what mineralization is... my understanding is that regular old dirt (like MCOG) has a lot of excess organics in it that cause algae. Mineralizing it rids a lot of those excess organics, reducing the algae issues. You can do it in tank, or out of tank... depends on how patient you are, or whether you want to spend the extra cash (not much more really) for the MTS

If you have a Test kit and some patience go for it.
My planted tank is dirt and is easily my most successful tank to date. No co2 just dirt and high light.

Pretty easy to do. Put dirt in cover with substrate. I do suggest putting the pfs around the borders.
And be very careful when adding water. Filling slowly and pouring onto a plate.

Wait a few days then test for ammonia nitrite and nitrate. Keep testing till the ammonia and nitrite are gone.

Back
Top Bottom