dirt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In response to the gas pockets I did have an issue with them about 11 yrs ago in a 55g with sand and I'm not talking little pocket but big ones that'd send dirt into the water column my buddy Ryan had the same setup as me he never had the issue but he did get some trumpets accidentally from some java moss he bought and that was the only difference I put a few in the 55 after about a month I quit seeing the trumpet and the gas pockets so when I made my 1.5g planted tank I went to petco and they gave me some of there nuisance trumpets no cost and no gas bubbles thus far and it's been running a couple months now

rkilling1 said:
I took the 'true aquatic' comment to mean not those that are only terrestrial, semi aquatic, or bog plants. There are those that are only aquatic and they only make up a low percentage of the plants we grow in our tanks.

True aquatics have adapted to receive their nutrients through their leafs and their roots are primarily used as an anchor.

Semi aquatic when grown out of the water develop a thicker skin (we'll just call it that) to stop evaporation of the water inside of it. The roots are there to deliver more water to the rest of the plant as well as bring nutrients with the water. Did you ever wonder why the emersed grown always dies off when you put them in the aquarium? It sheds this skin for one that is better for assimilating CO2 and nutrients since it doesn't need the thick skin to stop the moisture loss in the water.

I know, going off topic, but at least we are adding to the thread. Sorry.

Aaaaahhhhhh it was a direct response to your comment. Good observation :).

Yeah, that is a great point when you think of it that way. I've never personally transitioned an emersed plant, but I do know what you're talking about.

True aquatics have adapted to receive their nutrients through their leafs and their roots are primarily used as an anchor.

Everywhere I have read so far I found the information - aquatic plants absorb much more nutrients by the roots than the leaves. This is confirmed by my aquariums, where plants grow without adding fertilizers to the water column. This is the first forum where I learn that the roots are just anchors for plants.

This is something new for me. So why, people put the soil in the aquarium?

My reasoning for using a high cec substrate like fired clay, laterite, fluorite, soil, etc is so that they absorb nutrients to make available to plant roots.

I can't say whether one is more effective than the other, but I have employed both methods.

radek said:
Everywhere I have read so far I found the information - aquatic plants absorb much more nutrients by the roots than the leaves. This is confirmed by my aquariums, where plants grow without adding fertilizers to the water column. This is the first forum where I learn that the roots are just anchors for plants.

This is something new for me. So why, people put the soil in the aquarium?

Well they made a good point earlier about certain plants absorbing more from leaves, some more from roots. Anyways, like Jeta said, it still can be a great help.

I will note, my plants grow quite well with no ferts and no soil just gravel. I would prefer to use sand, but I move my tank too much.

Everybody finds something that works for their lifestyle.

Well they made a good point earlier about certain plants absorbing more from leaves, some more from roots. Anyways, like Jeta said, it still can be a great help.

I will note, my plants grow quite well with no ferts and no soil just gravel. I would prefer to use sand, but I move my tank too much.

Everybody finds something that works for their lifestyle.

Exactly, and everyone learns best in their own mistakes.

Update: took the dirt out&went with a 50/50 mix of eco-complete&black silica sand..the water never cleared&all plants were dying..guess its better to stick with what I know best.

Update: took the dirt out&went with a 50/50 mix of eco-complete&black silica sand..the water never cleared&all plants were dying..guess its better to stick with what I know best.

I'm sorry. Probably you was do something wrong. What substrate layer you put in your tank? And how thick? In my tanks with dirt water was crystal clear at first day and plants growing very good.

It probably didn't clear because you mixed the two together. With dirt tanks it's a good idea to use the sand or rock to hold down the dirt so it doesn't go floating everywhere.

smileyface9 said:
It probably didn't clear because you mixed the two together. With dirt tanks it's a good idea to use the sand or rock to hold down the dirt so it doesn't go floating everywhere.

Actually in the beginning of the thread it was stated that the dirt had been capped with eco-complete..

tiger terror said:

Ok were they dieing or melting crypts swords microswords apongentons and some other will melt when nutrients and lighting changes give em a couple weeks and they come back super hardy

Well after this board i redesigned my 30 with dirt sand and gravel its gonna be a fun ride seeing how it works over time

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120723_042639.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120723_042639.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20120723_042705.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120723_042705.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 60
  • ForumRunner_20120723_042733.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120723_042733.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 65
Well after this board i redesigned my 30 with dirt sand and gravel its gonna be a fun ride seeing how it works over time

So I'm curious, you put a layer of dirt down, then capped with sand and then put gravel around the plants only? How deep are your layers and was it any special type of gravel or just the regular stuff? I ask because I am gathering up the materials to do a Walstad type tank myself.

brennae said:
So I'm curious, you put a layer of dirt down, then capped with sand and then put gravel around the plants only? How deep are your layers and was it any special type of gravel or just the regular stuff? I ask because I am gathering up the materials to do a Walstad type tank myself.

It does look like shallow layers thats cause theres an inch lip of frame in the front so it goes from 1
Inch of playsand tapered back to 3 inches of dirt topped with gravel the dirt actual is under the border sand too. But i just used playsand organic dirt and pea gravel.

I was going to use topsoil and playsand and skip the gravel. I keep seeing the Walstad examples using the pea gravel but I have read about using sand as well. Your tank looks nice and clear so I may try just sand and dirt and maybe a few pebbles for accents.
Keep us updated on how it goes! ;)

Back
Top Bottom