Dirted..what is mineralization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I keep reading about mineralizing the soil and airing out the soil, what exactly is this? I can't find much info about actually doing it? Is it really needed? What risk is there from just setting up a tank with dirt/soil and putting fish in right away?

I've looked some videos up on this because I'm getting ready to dirt my 10 gallon. It will be my first time doing it but I'm probably going to follow the instructions on my other thread called "Two questions" go check it out, someone on there even gave me the step my step instructions on how they dirt their tanks. After I read that information I researched some more( mostly on YouTube) and that is actually how most people to it! So go check out that thread and I hope it helps you out!

Mineralizing is basically the process of getting rid of all organic material in the soil prior to use. In general terms you get it to rot before you use it. To me, the easiest approach is to get some soil that is devoid of organic material. Even really cheap top soils usually have added humus. I use soil from the yard and skip the surface layer and dig down a bit to get the "poorer" soil.
Things like potting soil usually have a high organic content, and yet you see them recommended often. I wouldn't use them, but others do. Often a large algae bloom is the result.

If you have questions with dirt, check out DustinsFishtanks' channel on YouTube. That's where I've learned just about everything about dirt and fish tanks.

My problem with dustin is he leaves out what he actually puts in his "dank dirt" and doesnt much explain the mineralization aspect as he wants you to buy his 80$ book...

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

I understand you there. He actually does, it's just a very short hard to find video. He says clay, crushed oyster shells, peat dust and the trusted and true miracle grow. I kinda bought the book...

The mineralization is exactly like what was already mentioned: wetting the dirt and dissolving the organics before actually getting it in the tank.

I understand you there. He actually does, it's just a very short hard to find video. He says clay, crushed oyster shells, peat dust and the trusted and true miracle grow. I kinda bought the book...

Ill have a look for it, I feel his book is good just too much $

Is the clay really a big deal? It tends to make my hands a bit dry and itchy so Id like to avoid it if possible. Could I substitute fluorite instead? Its pretty much clay.

I believe fluorite would work well if you mixed it in. You could use a pair of gloves though if you wanted to go with clay.

Back
Top Bottom