disintegrating leaves on crypts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i am setting up a new 50gal tank (here). i put a 1cm layer of red sea florabase under the gravel, and have 1wpg. at present the tank is cycling slowly with a handful of danios being the only inhabitants.

the other day i added 2 crypts, which looked quite healthy, apart from some broken leaves. over the last few days, a number of stems have started drooping, with the leaves going mushy in expanding circles. if they were garden plants, i would say something had chewed a hole in them. i clipped off the stems that were disintegrating, but today it seems to be getting rapidly worse. what could this be, and can i fix it??

Attachments

• p1030041_431.jpg
    p1030041_431.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 32
  • p1030042_417.jpg
    p1030042_417.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 33
This is common of newly planted crypts. It's called crypt melt. Just let it do it's thing, and don't disturb the crypt. Once the roots take hold, it will send out new leaves. Also, root tabs under the roots will help.

so should i not clip off the melting leaves, then? just leave them until it sends out new leaves?

edit: just did some research - crypt melt is really interesting! this is what i learned.

"These plants are grown in their emerged form, therefore reaching the hobbyist in this status. Upon introducing them in the aquarium, the emerged leaves give way to the submersed ones by a specific melting bound to this genus. Observing this phenomenon, most hobbyists think that the plant is gradually dieing, whom receive luckily a nice surprise a few weeks after when the plant reappears again. However, most times they are rapidly removed and thrown away once considered totally dead. This whole process is typical of cryptocorynes, not only when it is changed from above to underwater medias, but also when sudden environmental changes occur, such as a variation of light, a decrease in the concentration of CO2, etc…. this is what we call "crypt melt". Being no more than a quick response from the plant to these new conditions."

Go ahead and remove the leaves that have melted, but leave the rest of the plant be. It will come back soon.

Back
Top Bottom