DIY CO2 issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Case

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very new to CO2 injections and I'm not sure its working properly.
I have a simple yeast rig set up with Waterplant 3 in 1 CO2 Diffuser and nothing is happening. I KNOW there's at least some pressure in the rig. The bottle is extremely firm (from CO2) and it's very well sealed. The diffuser releases bubbles VERY slowly (only one or two bubbles every few minuets) within the diffuser and nothing comes out at all. All the CO2 builds up within the diffuser and nothing gets released out. I'm worried that when I'm not home the bottle with blow because all the pressure that's not being released.
I use to have an air stone that produced very large bubbles and I'm not sure if I should perhaps go back to using that or if there's a better diffuser (or release system in general) that would work with a yeast system.

Just long enough to feed into the tank with enough slack not to crimp.

Can you post pictures of your set up? Are you using a gas separator/bubble counter? If you unplug your diffuser are you getting bubbles? How many? Have you tested your setup for leaks? Can you link the diffuser you're using?

I'm sorry for the poor quality and awkward photos, its actually hard to get a clear photo because of its positioning and my deco.

This is the diffuser that I have now.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/gs-00562/Waterplant+3+in+1+CO2+Diffuser+(Small).html

My setup doesn't leak as far as I know. The pressure IS THERE, it's just not leaving the diffuser. When I disconnected the diffuser from the tubing there was a great escape of of air and bubbles. There's nothing built up in the bottle right now but come through when I squeeze it. When I used an air stone it would release bubbles but they were very large and non continuous (just bursts of bubbles). I wanted to get a good diffuser system that would release smaller more continuous bubble flow.

Attachments

• image-1745582880.jpg
    image-1745582880.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-4050909354.jpg
    image-4050909354.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 70
How deep is your tank? I have a diy system set up on my 29 gallon. I tried air stones and many different home made diffusers. If I set them halfway down my tank wall they would not work. You just can't get enough pressure to force the CO2 out. They would work if i moved them close to the top of my tank. They also worked fine in my 10 gallon. They just wouldn't work very well in my 29 gallon. I finally took an old power head that came with an underground filter and feed my line directly into that. The pull of the impeller helped pull the CO2 out. The impeller chops the bubbles up very fine. I also put a sponge on the power head outflow. It catches and holds some of the CO2 so it stays in contact with the water for longer periods of time. Here is my setup. The bottom one is of the
power head before I added the sponge.

Attachments

• 100_0239.jpg
    100_0239.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_0240.jpg
    100_0240.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 68
What both of you are describing is a leaky system. The pressure that you accumulate is what pushes the gas through the ceramic disk. The fact that you have a single spot where CO2 is escaping means to me that it found the point of least resistance, which it can get through, but can't penetrate through most of the disk. The extra CO2 escapes somewhere else.

I have a small little 6 gal fluval edge. Its about 14 inches deep. Ive looked for leaks and I cant find any. I plugged the end of the tubing tight and squeezed the bottle and nothing leaks anywhere that I can find.

I moved the diffuser up a bit. Its about halfway but nothings changed so far.

Attachments

• image-3695691317.jpg
    image-3695691317.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 58
Ive listened for leaks. I tried soapy water on the connection point on the cap and around the cap rim itself. Also I cant smell the yeast oder unless I release pressure manually. Would there be any other way to check?

The soapy water trick usually works (I use windex). The other option is putting it underwater and doing the same thing.

Is the tubing your using air line or c02 rated line. If it's air line it leaks. Had diy co2 on my 180l tank for 6 months still I went for the pressured diy system. But still use. The diy on my fluval edge. When you're doing the mix be sure the yeast is put in to the water lukewarm. If water boiling or very hot it kills the yeast. My setup is large coke bottle hole in cap. Co2 line to one way valve. Then straight to the defuser. Lots of c02 comming out.

it should be. i got one of the best tubing the store had because it was to be used for co2. i dont remember the exact type though.

Try moving the diffuser up about a half inch at a time. my tank is 16 inches from substrate to top of water and the 3 liter juice jug couldn't produce enough CO2 pressure to overcome the water pressure. You can try shaking the jug to produce a large surge of CO2 and see if it will start pushing the gas out of the diffuser. If you put the yeast into too warm water it also will kill it. I did that on my first try. The water needs to be almost room temp. Old yeast will also give poor performance. If the packet has been open for a while the yeast picks up moisture and dies off. Store opened packets in a plastic bag in the fridge.

It might be worth mixing up some more soapy water, shake the jug, and then put suds around the connections. If there is a leak it will show up. I really think it is just not enough pressure. Or the diffuser could be not porous enough.

I am using regular air line tubing and have had no problems. It has worked for 3 months so far. It may eventually degrade but it would take a long time.

i think ive got it working. i changed out the yeast and added a bit more than usual. i shook it up and gave it a good squeeze and very nice fine bubbles are finally comming out. i had given the ceramic plate a good rubbing to open pores that may have been clogged with dust and moved the diffuser. its still halfway down the tank but i think itll work from there once it builds pressure. its also right under the outflow of the filter so the bubbles get dispersed in the water quite well.
i think it just needed a good push.
thanks to all of you for giving mush awesome advice!

Back
Top Bottom