DIY CO2 System Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
064nuno said:
Wow. Bill I like that idea you made. Now what if pressure builds up any issue?

Thank you! :) No problem with pressure build up yet, I assume it would just blow larger bubbles or blow the airline off if there was any problems. It's working great so far.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Lee's Discard-A-Stones Aquarium Airstones at PETCO is this it? Anyway i agree your setup is marvelous. However so far i have no issues. im just going to recap for you all.

2 liter apple juice bottle is ran into a gatorade bottle, bubble checker, then run to a check valve, then to my pill bottle setup. If i do say so myself, its a creative setup.

Yes, I believe that is the one I found. 2 bucks and you get two of them. About the airline, from what I've read they make specific airline for co2 because the standard will be broken down by the gas over a length of time. If it does rot, no big deal just replace it, it's not like it's expensive. I'd like to see your pill bottle setup when your done, post some pics! :)

If your trying too duplicate this setup Amazon.com: Fluval Mini Pressurized 20g-CO2 Kit - 0.7 ounces: Pet Supplies with the pillbottle it wont work right.
The diy sends consistent flow of co2 requiring a different diffuser.
The one above you open the co2 bottle to fill the chamber then close it letting co2 saturate, a different diffuser method, bot both are diffusers.
Dont get the two confused.
If you pillbottle is sending large bubbles to the top you are not acheivind good saturation of co2,

I think my pill bottle idea is running pretty good. No large bubbles, there are a couple of those bubbles when u splash around in the pool sized. However, based on popular consensus, or whatever that means, ill give bills idea a shot. Just like to know bill, have i any need to replace the diffuser?

mr.waffles1842 said:
I think my pill bottle idea is running pretty good. No large bubbles, there are a couple of those bubbles when u splash around in the pool sized. However, based on popular consensus, or whatever that means, ill give bills idea a shot. Just like to know bill, have i any need to replace the diffuser?

I'm not exactly sure what your pill bottle looks like or how it works. I'd have to see it or you explain it further.

In effect the bottle only serves as a place to trap bubbles. The bubbles create a pocket of, well, bubble. I dont want to call it air. The bubbling from the tubing churns up water and co2. this co2 rich water than gets mixed throughout my aquarium, and eventually the bubbles begin to rise to the surface. this in turn produces mor bubbling, more churning, etc. so anyway its a bit iffy cuz its an original idea. Id like to learn a bit more of these diffusers bill. do i need to change them???

So let me get this straight, the pill bottle faces downward, with the opening facing down. The air line enters down through what really is the bottom of the pill bottle but is actually facing up? Is there anything on the end of the airline inside the pill bottle?

yes yes yes. i have nothing on the end. but ive bought one of those diffusers. so do i change it a all or is it good for life?

I would try to put the diffuser on. The smaller bubbles getting trapped in the pill bottle should dissolve easier. That's just a guess though, I've never attempted it. You should be able to run the diffuser for a while without changing it. Mines only been up for about a month or so.

alright now im just waiting for my parents to have the rest of the coke. the soda, not the white stuff.

Im going to use my pill bottle in one tank and the diffuser in another. ill let u guys know how it turns out.

Bill i just need some clarification. does the diffuser need to be put in a specific way? and also do i need to attach it to something?

Oh also i have 2 filters running on my aquarium. If i agitate the surface, will i lose co2? also on the second system, the one where i use Bills diffuser, would it be alright if i didnt do a bubble counter? and one more thing, i know alot of questions. What is i attach the tubing to an airstone? will that be a suitable diffuser? lemme know!

My airline is just suction cupped to the class with the diffuser at the end. You can refer back to the other picture I posted for a close up.

image-2796544181.jpg

You're running both systems on the same tank? I wouldn't use a plain air stone, I haven't tried it with the low pressure from DIY co2 but I think the bubbles will be too large. You want them fine enough to dissolve as best as possible in the water. As far as the two filters creating too much agitation, I really have no idea. Maybe you can order a drop checker to get a better idea of how much co2 is actually in the tank. I need to order one soon as well.

no im setting up 2 different systems for my 2 planted tanks. and again, will it be ok if i try one out without a bubble counter???

ok. i want to try it out and see if i can give it a shot without it. Now id like to know the recipe you guys use. I use 1/2 cup of sugar 1/4 cup of yeast and 6 cups of water.

mr.waffles1842 said:
ok. i want to try it out and see if i can give it a shot without it. Now id like to know the recipe you guys use. I use 1/2 cup of sugar 1/4 cup of yeast and 6 cups of water.

A little under 2 cups sugar, 1/4 TEASPOON yeast, and the container about 3/4 full. Make sure after you mix the sugar you let the water cool down, I added the yeast once when it was still too warm and it didn't work that time. Ps please don't ever use 1/4 cup of yeast! Lol

Back
Top Bottom