DIY Root tabs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1998golfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I haven't ever used any ferts in my tank (liquid or otherwise), but my amazon sword is looking bad so I figured I'd make some DIY root tabs, and throw some under my bamboo too..

Here's the plan, after doing research for the past few weeks.

I'll mix the following:
-1lb - Miracle Gro Fertilizer w/ Calcium for Fruit/Vegetables ($4.45)
-2lb - Dynamite Select all purpose plant food ($15.13)
-2lb - Osmocote Plus smart release fertilizer ($9.97)

Please give opinions on those, I plan on just putting them all in a bucket / bowl and filling the gel capsules.

I'll buy a 1000 pack of size 00 gel capsules, how many do you think that amount of fertilizer could fill? Based on osmocote's website, it says that there are approx 252 grams per 1 cup of osmocote plus. I'll just go with that ratio for the others. 252 grams = 0.55lb per cup, so each lb is 1.8 cups. 5lb at 1.8 cups/lb is approx 9 cups total. 9 cups is 432 tsp, and according to the item description, the 00 capsules hold approx 1/5tsp, so 532/.2=2160, so would this fill approx 2000 capsules, meaning I should order 2000 gel caps?

Thanks a ton, and would really appreciate your input!
-Golfer

You're on the right track doing diy tabs is definitely more cost effective. Osmocote also sell a slow release aquatic plant fertilizer "stick", I get a pack of 50 for about $7 from my a chain hardware store here in Australia.
It can solve getting the gel packs because I am not allowed to purchase over the Internet and was unable to find any in store so I got the osmocote sticks and they work just fine.

You're on the right track doing diy tabs is definitely more cost effective. Osmocote also sell a slow release aquatic plant fertilizer "stick", I get a pack of 50 for about $7 from my a chain hardware store here in Australia.
It can solve getting the gel packs because I am not allowed to purchase over the Internet and was unable to find any in store so I got the osmocote sticks and they work just fine.
Yeah a lot more cost effective. Making 1000-2000 for $50 vs buying 40 for $30.. I can order over the internet, most of the time so this is best for me. I'm splitting it with a friend.

I'll assume you saw my post on root tabs with the appearance of the miracle grow on that list. I picked the miracle grow to mix with the osmocote ferts because at the time they had stopped making osmocote plus and Dynamite wasn't available to me.

With the Osmocote + or Dynamite fertilizer, there's no need to mix it because they have a good balance of NPK and micro ferts in them. So you can just go with either of them and call it good without mixing.

Also, this is the dynamite that you want to use. It was the original stand in when they discontinued Osmocote +

Amazon.com : Dynamite 887746 Flowers and Vegetables Plant Food, 2-Pound : Fertilizers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

My root tabs with the mixed miracle grow and osmocote ran around $0.02 each most of which was the gel caps.

I'll assume you saw my post on root tabs with the appearance of the miracle grow on that list. I picked the miracle grow to mix with the osmocote ferts because at the time they had stopped making osmocote plus and Dynamite wasn't available to me.

With the Osmocote + or Dynamite fertilizer, there's no need to mix it because they have a good balance of NPK and micro ferts in them. So you can just go with either of them and call it good without mixing.

Also, this is the dynamite that you want to use. It was the original stand in when they discontinued Osmocote +

Amazon.com : Dynamite 887746 Flowers and Vegetables Plant Food, 2-Pound : Fertilizers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

My root tabs with the mixed miracle grow and osmocote ran around $0.02 each most of which was the gel caps.
I was mixing them because of your suggestion, yes, and the new osmocote plus lacks the Calcium of the old one, but Dynamite has calcium, and also Dynamite doesn't have Zinc but the Osmocote+ does. I saw elsewhere that it was the dynamite select we were supposed to use, but I wasn't sure. Just switched it with the dynamite you linked. Cost is $43.38 for 2000 root tabs, just over $0.02 per tab. Is there any issue with mixing the 3 fertilizers? Your thread was full of information, thanks.

You should be fine as long as you mix them well. Make sure to push them in deep into the substrate. It's a pain if they float up.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom