Does lighting have to be continuous ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
In a planted tank? Could I do a 4 hour on 2 hour off 3 hour on cycle. Would that be the same growth as 7 hours on straight? I'm wanting to do this to control algae growth.

Yes. Its called a siesta photoperiod. I do the same on my tank. Plants begin to take in nutrients rather quickly vs algae needs longer lighting period to thrive. Aquarists do siesta time periods to help battle algae, or at least minimize it.

What sort of initials do you suggest? Will natural light affect the results?

Initials? Natural sunlight can affect algae and encourage it to grow. I would suggest some sheers curtain at least to help minimize a direct beam of sun beating on the tank. As long as the tank isn't getting direct sun, it should be OK.

Ha! * intervals
I have blinds in that room but a little big of light still gets in
Thanks

Lighting and Algae

In a planted tank? Could I do a 4 hour on 2 hour off 3 hour on cycle. Would that be the same growth as 7 hours on straight? I'm wanting to do this to control algae growth.

Hello Cat...

Aquarium plants are tropical and used to long hours of daylight. I put my tank lights on a timer and set it between 10-14 hours daily depending on how well the plants grow.

If your tank hasn't been running long, then it needs time to make the water chemistry stable. My tanks usually run 6 months or so before the algae is under control.

Anacharis is a good algae controlling plant. It puts out an antibiotic that prevents the growth of certain kinds of algae. I have it in all my tanks.

Keep up with your water changes. They remove added nutrients. Snails will help. Ramshorn remove all types of algae. I don't feed much flaked fish food. It's typically high in phosphate, something that algae really thrives on.

Just some observations from keeping planted tanks for a few years.

B

Hello Cat...

Aquarium plants are tropical and used to long hours of daylight. I put my tank lights on a timer and set it between 10-14 hours daily depending on how well the plants grow.

If your tank hasn't been running long, then it needs time to make the water chemistry stable. My tanks usually run 6 months or so before the algae is under control.

Anacharis is a good algae controlling plant. It puts out an antibiotic that prevents the growth of certain kinds of algae. I have it in all my tanks.

Keep up with your water changes. They remove added nutrients. Snails will help. Ramshorn remove all types of algae. I don't feed much flaked fish food. It's typically high in phosphate, something that algae really thrives on.

Just some observations from keeping planted tanks for a few years.

B
I think I need to just cut back on my fertilizer dosing from once a week to once every other week. I have mostly anubias,crypts, some floating pennywort and wisteria. Those plants typically don't need a lot of liquid fertilizer. I'm running almost the are minimum lighting on a 55g, one 48' T8 6700k bulb for 8 hrs a day right now, so I know the issue is not too much light

Lighting and Algae

Hello again Cat...

I keep several planted 55 G tanks and dose my fertilizer only once a week or so when I do my water changes. I have a decent fish load, so they take care of some of the fertilizing. I only dose my ferts when I remove them through a water change. If your aquarium plants don't use all the nutrients, then this is the perfect environment for algae to grow.

B

Back
Top Bottom