Dosing Ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceH2O

Aquarium Advice Freak
My plants look pretty good, better than I thought they would but even some of the quicker growers get a brown powdery algae on the old growth. No other type of algae except for some GSA on the tank glass at the substrate level. Not counting what I let grow on the back glass to counter any other algae.

I was wondering if I'm not dosing enough or if I'm dosing to much at once or what.

This is my dosing schedule: for a 75 gallon, 1.75 wpg CF ( some say since its CF its more of a low end medium light tank ) 60% planted. pH 6.8, KH 3 - 3.5, GH 1

Saturday 50% pwc

Saturday I add:

1 tsp KNO3 -11.23 ppm- after a pwc and adding kno3 my nitrates are about 20 ppm, they are still around 20 ppm at weeks end.
1 tsp K2SO4-17.2 ppm-
4 tsps CaCL2 -22.47 ppm -
2.5 tsps of MgSO4.7H2O - 4.21 ppm

Sunday I add:

2 ml of fleet for phosphates ( 1 ppm )

Sunday,Tuesday,Thursday I add 5 ml of Flourish for my traces

Everyday I add 10 ml of Excel

The algae on the older growth aren't diatoms?

A little more PO4 can limit green spot. Might want to try another 1ppm (or .5ppm) dose on Wed or so and observe. If you do this add another NO3 test during the week to keep an eye on it.

They could be diatoms but I figured by now I'd be done with that stage of algae. The tanks been planted from Day 1 and has been running for almost 4 months. I am using sand for a substrate but its supposed to be slicate free.

I can't add ottos or snails to the tank because of the inhabitants.

I will try the added phosphates though. Its only a small amount of GSA but if I can get rid of all of it I may as well do it.

Back
Top Bottom