double membrane diffuser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Give us more than 17 minutes to respond ;)

Its just a passive diffuser. Sure it works, but its not as efficient as a powered or in-line CO2 reactor.

hmm i guess im not sure which one i should get then... i think i have to go passive because i don't want to tap into my cannister, and i don't want to put it on a powerhead i.e. more money, am i correct, and if so have any suggestions?

If you are going to buy one or the other (powerhead versus the membrane diffuser linked above) I'd go with the powerhead and attach it to a rigid gravel vac tube to make your own power diffuser.

You could also plumb it into the outflow hose of your canister and not have to worry about damaging your filter (if that is the reason for your reservations about running it through your canister).

Yeah, you don't have to do anything ot the canister itself, rather you splice into the hose on the return line. You can pickup replacement hose from any hardware store, or order exact replacements from LFS or manufacturer.

There's nothing special about the vinyl hose that comes with our canister filters Just replace it with the same inner/outer diameter to ensure proper fit.

It's a sealed unit, it's essentially a cannister mounted on the tank. have you tried putting the hose at the intake? you may be surprised how well it does.

That is the perfect filter for diffusing CO2 - due to the way the motor is mounted (correct me if I am wrong) so there would be no cost involved to mount the airline hose into the intake of your filter, and super easy, as well. I too think you will be amazed at how much CO2 you can get into your tank with this method.

if you want this diffuser I have a new one I'll give you for half price.

the fellow who sold me my regulator/solenoid also sold me one of these.. before I ever used it, I decided to go for a power reactor... so let me know if you want it.. i'd love mine not to be a total loss

but remember, I also decided there were BETTER ways.

ok... so this canister would work perfectly as acting as a reactor uh. That is good news i think, i guess my question is... how? The intake for the filter is a hard tube that is seated into a clasp fitting on the front of the filter. So when you talk about running a "tube" into the cannister, what do you mean? The airline tube from the regulator that carries the CO2? Run that directly into the intake of the filter? If so, how? Do i drill a hole into the plastic intake tube that is elbow shaped and then insert the CO2 tubing into that somehow. I am very confused as to the process to get it hooked up. If i can get away with not buying a reactor with an integrated power head that would be great.

On the other hand, if a reactor with integreated power head would do better than utlizing the cannister as a reactor, i would rather do that. Anybody that knows how to get the CO2 into my cannister please let me know

You misunderstand tankgirl.

she's saying, 'skip the AquaMedic, and just plumb the CO2 line directly into the intake on your HOB filter. It can act as a diffuser/reactor at no added cost'.

i understand that... but HOW do i tap in? The intake to my filter is a hard plastic tube connected to a clasp on the cannister. How do I get the CO2 in the cannister?

When I did this I just snipped a small opening into the screen that covers the intake of the filter, and shoved the end of the airline tube into that hole. It does damage the screen but those are replaceable, and as Wizzard points out, if you just mount it directly adjacent to the intake the bubbles will get sucked into the intake.

What I'd do is use those zip-ties and attach the airline tube to the rigid filter intake tube, and at the bottom, where the airline tube meets the opening of the intake, cut the tube at an extreme angle so each bubble will tend to come out almost to the side facing the intake. I hope I am explaining this clearly...

I think running CO2 through a canister filter is one of the best ways to get the most out of each bubble of CO2, provided your outflow is well below water surface. You will not be disappointed.

Yep, a zip-tie, and in my case, I used an airline reducer, which will just barely wedge into the slots on most HOB filter intakes.

ok bad news... my output on my canister isn't below the water surface. This is due to my filter straddling the cross bracing on the tanks. The diffuser for the filter is about half way in the water and i like it this way because it provides a bit of a splash and some water movement

splash and surface agitation are negative to plants, even if you had a perfect diffuser, this would increase the amount of Co2 it took to stay in your water. the splashing is going to allow a lot of the Co2 to escape. planted tanks should have minimal "splashing" and surface agitation.

I wouldn't call suface agitation bad for the plants themselves, but it will lower your dissolved CO2 level. But this just means you'll have to feed more CO2 into the tank then you would otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom