CO2 system advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edward61

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking at CO2 systems online, is this one worthwhile for a 46 gallon tank?

Combo 2 co2 regulator, bubble counter, and automatic ph shutoff sms122 with 2 stage diffusor

which includes
  • 1 sms 122 co2 automatic ph shutoff made by milwaukee
  • 1 CO2 Regulator with needle valve, solenoid valve, and bubble counter. Dual guage regulator displays output pressure and bottle pressure. Standard American CO2 bottle connection. made by milwaukee<LI type=square>Aqua Medic Membrane Diffuser
  • 'Double' passive reactor w/ 2 membrane tubes for up to 50g.
:thanks:

I won't try to talk you out of it (I own an SMS122 myself), but the pH controller is certainly not a requirement for an extremely successful pressurized CO2 injection system if you are looking to save money. It is a nice gadget that will very precisely control your CO2 injection, but a simple electric timer while less precise, is just as effective. I run 2 pressurized systems, 1 with the pH controller, and 1 with a timer... both work great.

Not sure how much that is, but you can get a regulator, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, and co2 tubing for $89 at eseasongear.com... All you would need is a cylinder ($55 at kegerator.com) and a diffuser.

oh... I would also add, I am not a fan of those membrane diffusers. I seem to recall reading a lot of reviews a few years ago where they wear out over time much faster than ceramic/glass diffusers. Maybe they have improved on them since then...

Thanks for the advice. Those sites to buy from were great, a bit cheaper than the sites I had come across so far.

Powerheads make fantastic CO2 distributors. I've got an old Penguin 660 in my 20H and it puts out a fine mist of bubbles. Ideally you'd use a smaller powerhead. I just had the Penguin sitting around.

BigJim is right... misting with a powerhead is probably the best way to dose CO2 to a planted tank if you don't mind the bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom